skreamer

Zimbabwe

OK, could one of you liberal types please explain the following to me :

Robert Mugabe the 'democratic' leader of Zimbabwe (for almost two decades...) evicted 2 900 white farmers off their land last night. Their farms are now being sub-divided. They have been prevented from farming all their land for the last two years. Zimbabwe (and the entire region) is now in the grip of a famine and holding out their hands to the West for food aid. Three years ago those farmers were producing more than enough to feed the country and sell the surplus to neighbouring countries. Their tobacco crops brought in valuable foreign trade for the country. So far 11 farmers have been killed.

But I suspect the west's only reaction will be to send food aid. Same as with Rwanda (and so many other country's in Africa), the West won't interfere in the same way they did in South Africa. I guess as long as the country is being screwed over by a black dictator that makes it OK in western liberals' eyes...

Its a big plot by the west to use Southern Africa as a GM testing ground ;)

Have you heard that Zim & Zambia said that the US could stick its grain where the sun don't shine? Why cause its GM - go figger I reckon not eating anything will kill you quicker

Next issue - here in the UK the emphasis is on the "white" farmers and how they own 70% of the fertile land - no comment that they employ(ed - past tense now I guess) at least 50% of the working people - who are now by and large homeless.They also hold certificates of non-interest issued by Zim government for their farms - these certificates were issued post-independance as all farms sold had to be offered to the government first.

Well I am an ex zimbo (never farmed though) and am seriously pissed at the wests handling of Zim. The UK government friggen put Mugabe in power in the first place.
Experienced jumper - someone who has made mistakes more often than I have and lived.

Yep, I am totally for democracy, if only Zimbabwe could have what South Africa does now (ie a working democracy thanks in no small measure to Mandela). But you can't tell me that Mugabe staying in power for almost two decades with his record of civil rights abuses is democracy.

What I also found really sad was that the first white farmer to get killed actually bought the land from a black farmer using a loan from a black bank AFTER the war had ended. Dunno how Mugabe justified that one... Also pretty ironic that a lot of these war 'veterans' claiming the farms are teenagers, ie they weren't even born when the war ended!!!

But there isn't any oil in Zimbabwe so don't expect the west to get too upset. (now Angola on the other hand...)