leeoleeo

Pilot Made in South Africa?

Hi,

I am about to buy my first rig and I came across 2005 Pilot 168 that has written on its label 'Made in South Africa' and stating Aerodyne's website as aerodyne-int.com which is not Aerodyne Research's current website. Can anyone explain if that Pilot canopy would have the same shape/quality as the newer ones and if the manufacturer would be the same Aerodyne?

Thanks,

Peter

leeoleeo

Hi,

I am about to buy my first rig and I came across 2005 Pilot 168 that has written on its label 'Made in South Africa' and stating Aerodyne's website as aerodyne-int.com which is not Aerodyne Research's current website. Can anyone explain if that Pilot canopy would have the same shape/quality as the newer ones and if the manufacturer would be the same Aerodyne?

Thanks,

Peter

I believe even the current ones are made in SA (the newest one I have is DOM 2009, and it's made in SA), so you are most likely looking at the canopy manufactured by the same people, using the same patterns as the 2005 one.

leeoleeo

Hi,

Thanks,

Peter

I wouldnt worry too much... they are a reputable company and it's not like the Pilot is being manufactured by child labor in Mexico.

The children that make Pilots in the South Africa factory are actually much better than other american seamstresses. Because their fingers are so small and nimble they can make some of the stitches much better. 2005 is actually a better quality than newer canopies since the kids have grown quite a bit since then and I hear have developed arthritis.