demon4o7

G3 visor springs

So cookie being a great company already have a tutorial on how to change the locking springs for your visor.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAXADW6rDBo&feature=youtube_gdata_player

After diving in and tearing mine apart I found that my axel / hub assembly was a bit different then in the video. Basically there is no way to stop the axel from spinning (pretty tough with thread locker). After emailing back and forth I found the important / key parts to not screw up and mangle to take this axel off. So what I came up with was drilling two holes and using snap ring pliers to stop the axel from spinning and to remove the hub Allen screw. It'll make sense if you run Into this problem yourself. I've attached pics. Hope this helps if you run into this issue later!

I was able to squeeze the whole thing quite tightly and prevent the backside from spinning while removing the screw to get at the spring.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka

demon4o7

It wasn't a suggested fix. I simply emailed to find the sensitive bits to not damage. (the axel is the part I wanted to avoid). Also they assured me if I broke it they'd help me replace the assembly.

OK - so yeah - getting to the springs if you have not been shown can be frustrating. But there is a very simple way to do so using an allen wrench to slide the mechanism up and then rotate it to get to the screws which allow you access to the spring.

If you're ever where the Cookie rep is ask him how to show you. Or if you are ever where I am I'll show you. If what you did works - then great but I certainly don't advise others to do that.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be.

demon4o7

Idk if you understand the process, and what the issue is. But thank you for the offer. I appreciate it.

OK I just took mine apart and I think I do understand what you are trying to explain. When I saw your pictures of only one side of the assembly I thought you were attacking the thing incorrectly.

However it appears that you could not keep the disc which contains the female threads for the allen screw from rotating while trying to unscrew the allen screw.

What you came up with is obviousy a reasonable fix. Too bad you had to take a drill to it. I'm thinkng another possible work around would be to use some chunks (1/4-1/2") of stiff black rubber to place on either side of the wheel and then clamp it in a vice (not to tight) to do the holding. I've looked at it and it is possible to do and still avoid the raised screw recepticles.

You have to admit - it's quite an engineered device and sturdy as hell - especially when you look at some other helmet visor opener/locks.

Be the canopy pilot you want that other guy to be..

demon4o7

Yup, u nailed the problem. Have you taken one apart before? The face of the axel is unbelievably thin.. 032 thick probably. And the loctite holds quite a bit better then you'dimagine!

Yes I've taken a number of them apart. I've had a G2 since they first came out. I also have a Cookie fix it kit and I help people replace their springs when needed. I've never had this problem but I can see how it could happen.

My son is the North America Cookie rep. I'll see what he has to say.