Deimian

Cut a hole in the helmet for having an external window for the audible

I've been thinking for a couple of days about this. I have a Phantom X and an Optima II. I am quite happy with both, but taking out of the helmet the audible is a pain in the ass, it is quite tight and because of the shape of the pocket it is difficult to have a good grip on the audible to pull it out.

So I was thinking in making a window "ala Tonfly" or "ala Fuel". Keeping the audible inside, so a riser hit won't force me to say bye bye to the audible. The way I was thinking so far is: Cutting a hole and "sandpaper the edges" to make it smooth and of the appropriate size. Glue some rubber edge on it. Put the audible in a sew-in pocket like the one for viso. Cut a hole in the outside part of the padding and sew the pocket to the padding. Variation: glue the sew-in pocket to the shell of the helmet. The problem is that the padding is not removable, so I'm not sure how to handle this. I am also afraid of misaligning the hole in the helmet and the audible, and I would like to be able to remove the audible and put it in another helmet or change the battery without having to disassemble the whole thing.

Opinions/ideas? Will I mess up the helmet?

Have you tried using L&Bs altimeter tool to remove it? Apparently used to remove Viso II from their altimeter pockets without doing any damage. Don't know how well they work or if it will work with a Optima or not but just might save you a whole lot of grief and only $10.
http://www.chutingstar.com/skydive/viso-ii-packing-tool
Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

You mean to remove the altimeter from the helmet pocket? I don't think that will work. That tool pushes the edge of the viso pocket to make room to insert it or remove it. The pocket of the Phantom X is made of fabric, is not rigid, and you have to put the altimeter inside and then push it in a corner. It is difficult to explain if you didn't see the pocket but I don't see how this tool can help.

Yeah wasn't sure as I haven't seen one used. My only suggestion is if you do cut a hole is to keep it as small as absolutely possible and if you can, make it a round hole to try and prevent any cracks from appearing at corners. Good luck. :)

Remember you don't stop laughing because you grow old, you grow old because you stop laughing.

No need to ask. I took a look at the helmet, and it is simply too thin (from the edge of the neck to the edge of the visor) to make a hole there for an audible. So I'll keep it like it is, swearing a little bit everytime I have to pull the audible out. Swearing once in a while can't be bad :D.