PhreeZone

Coloring lines on reserves

Here is an interesting situation that I am putting out for all riggers to reply to in terms of what you would do and what jumpers would do if this occurred to their gear.

During a routine inspection it was noted that lines had been colored on with a marker by a rigger. The lines were colored at around an inch in length at the line attachment point for a line group. The coloring went over the bartack. This was not noted anywhere on the card and the canopy was last seen in this loft about 4 years back and was not colored at that time. The lines were marked with an unknown marker so it might not be acid free.

Do you pack it, do you refuse, do you try to contact all the previous riggers to see what type of marker was used, do you tell the customer?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Do you pack it, do you refuse, do you try to contact all the previous riggers to see what type of marker was used, do you tell the customer?

I would do the in bold only.
The owner has a RIGHT to know, and they can make an informed decision as to whether they want it repacked (then the rigger gets to choose IF they will pack it)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

My first (gut) reaction: Refuse to pack.

This is a reserve ... IMO they should not have things done to them except inspections and repacks so they can save someone's life.

The marking may not have been harmful and it may be just fine, but I have no way to know/test that. Recommend sending it back to the mf.

I'll be interested to see the responses you get.

Any idea what the rigger was trying to accomplish by marking the lines?

Also, at what point does it become an alteration? Dying fabric is but my lines are all marked with something during the manufacturing process and it sounds like these are only marked in certain places.

I'd be calling the manufacturer.

Post pics!

Here is an interesting situation that I am putting out for all riggers to reply to in terms of what you would do and what jumpers would do if this occurred to their gear.

During a routine inspection it was noted that lines had been colored on with a marker by a rigger. The lines were colored at around an inch in length at the line attachment point for a line group. The coloring went over the bartack. This was not noted anywhere on the card and the canopy was last seen in this loft about 4 years back and was not colored at that time. The lines were marked with an unknown marker so it might not be acid free.

I knew a (Master) Rigger once that did something like this on his own reserve - so he "could tell the D lines from the C lines" - I didn't say anything to him because it was his own gear but seriously? If you're a rigger you should be able to tell D's from C's...... I agree with John, test the lines for acidity and slap the rigger that did it (that last bit was mine not John's)