psheldon

Raven 1

Raven I's are approved to 254 lbs certification limit.
Documents later than the one showing 166 lbs exist. A graph in about 1990 shows the max recommended wing loading for the basic Raven series to be very slightly over 1:1.

So you are still legal at your weight. Plenty of people have loaded and landed reserves at above recommended weights.

That being said, with gear you'd be getting up towards the certification limit of a 25 year old canopy, loading an old design reserve (that isn't great at high wing loadings) at maybe 1.35 (if one adds 25 lbs for gear), while also not being current.

In the end: You would be legal, but not smart to use that reserve.

If you weigh 220 you are nearly 250 out the door. If you have to land your Raven 1 you won't like it very much. Reserves of this design generally will not land well very much beyond 1:1. But yes, you can still probably use it. You are older and more financially secure now as well as more frail. Welcome back. Open the wallet and spring for a modern reserve. At the same size a PDR, or a Smart or a R-max or Angelfire or other current design will give you a much better chance of not breaking an ankle. You are worth it.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.

The 254 pound limit is meant to keep the canopy intact through opening shock.
The lower limit is intended to keep your ankles intact through the landing shock.
Even the Precision factory admitted that Ravens land like %$#@! when loaded more than 1.3 pounds per square foot.
If you value your ankels, you will not hang more than 180 pounds under a Raven 1.

OTOH I have jumped a Precision RMax 118 - loaded at the maximum suspended weiht - and walked away from the landing. I would never buy an RMax 188, but would seriously consider buying an RMax 150 ... seeing a how I weight more than 200 pounds out the door.

OK, so what are other recomended reserves and sizes. I will even consider buying a used (previously owned) reserve made for my sitaution. I've been using Sabre 2 190s and others with much success. I want to jump properly sized gear to make my bones (which I value very much) safe! Also, where to get one.

Thx for the input.

You might look into the PD Optimum reserves - they have a reputation for sweet flying & landing, to the point where some folks have wished they could fly one as a main. B|

The Optimums also have lower-bulk fabric (so they pack a size or so smaller), allowing you to put a larger reserve in a container sized for a smaller one. So if you decide to stick to a 190 main, with a similarly-sized reserve container, you could likely fit an OP 218 in there.

The one negative is that they're relatively new on the market, and as such, used ones don't come along all that often.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Most of the people I know who are jumping Sabre 190s are using PD 176s for reserves. It will fit in the same space as a Raven 1, and will land significantly better. They can sometimes be found used, but the demand is greater than the supply. You should figure around 750 or so for a fairly late model one. Price often depends on the number of repacks and rides that are on them.

Of course this is a compromise and if you want to be more conservative an Optimum 193 will probably also fit. But it will only be available new, and therefore will cost twice as much.

The classifieds here are the best source of used gear, unless you have someone locally. Other people will shortly jump in with advice on new gear dealers. Most of them are good, and the market is competitive.

Ken
Always remember the brave children who died defending your right to bear arms. Freedom is not free.