SEREJumper

List of containers TSO'd weight limits?

Seems as though if you are not looking at the rig itself, manufactures have made it hard to tell what weight limit their sport containers are certified for.

I know most are 254lbs, but there are a few that have 300lbs.

So I thought it would be good to have them all in one place.

Looking for current, 2013 TSO'd weights only

- Aerodyne
- Sunpath
- Altico
- Velocity Sports Equipment (Infinity)
- UPT
- Firebird
- Rigging innovations
- Sunrise (Wings)
- Jump Shack (Racer)
- Mirage
- Strong
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

Sport systems (not tandems or pilot rigs), from owners manuals and/or websites:

Aerodyne: 136kg, 150kts
Sunpath: before October 2001, 254#, 150kts
Sunpath: after October 2001, 300#, 170kts
Altico: no info on website or in owner's manual
VSE: 254#, 150kts
UPT: no limits
Firebird: 150kg, 150kts
RI: 254#, 150kts
Sunrise/Wings: 254#, 150kts
Jump Shack: no limits
Mirage: no limits (except airplane must be going less than 150mph)
Strong: 254#, 150kts

Now that I've done the search for you, tell me why you want to know. :)
Mark

Mark,

Thanks for your reply. Half of it was that I think that info should be out there as an easy reference for people to look at before purchasing a container (kind of makes it hard to find out what a TSO'd weight is if you need the manual for a container you haven't purchased yet). Also to note the reserve you put in should also be compatible.

Converted Aerodyne 136kg to approx. 300lbs and Firebird 150kg to approx. 330lbs.
We're not fucking flying airplanes are we, no we're flying a glorified kite with no power and it should be flown like one! - Stratostar

I'm pretty sure it's in the manual of each of these containers. The manual for each company you listed is available online. In addition, each of these manufacturers maintain email and phone services, and all are easily found using all the search engines.

If it isn't in the manual, the TSO is, and simply by looking up that TSO (via any search engine), you can get the answer.

If an individual were buying from a dealer, the dealer can provide (or find) the information.

I'm also pretty sure all riggers know how to figure this out, even if they don't know it off the top of their head.

Most AFF type instructors could probably find it in 10 minutes or less as well.

How much easier does it need to be? Perhaps a handout to every jumper considering buying gear? At some point, adults need to take responsibility for themselves and use their own brains.

So part of the argument seems to be:
"Gee, it would be nice to have a source of summarized information." vs. "Shut up and look it up yourself."

Leaving that aside, companies vary in their helpfulness. The data IS NOT in the manual of every container.

For the Wings, Javelin, Voodoo, and Infinity rigs, to give a few examples, the TSOs and speed and weight limits are spelled out early in the manual.

However:
Mirage's manual shows in a huge font size that theirs is a Low Speed Parachute for use from airplanes under 150 mph. This is pretty useless for the average skydiver and leaves things out. It's a rig, not a parachute, a jumper might think. It takes some experience to understand the implications of the ancient TSO to which that applies.

The Vector III rig has no TSO info in the manual, the only reference to a TSO being that there is a placard on the rig itself.

So there seems to be a slight tendency to advertise one's TSO if it is nice and new with high limits, and hide basic certification information from the user if the TSO is older.

I would phrase it as "Gee it would be nice if we spoon fed the information" or "gee it would be nice if people would read the manual and then ask questions." The gist is about the same, however, just a matter of how you want to phrase it.

By showing people it can be found easily, we encourage them to look for themselves. By spoonfeeding it, we encourage them to take whatever is stated by an anonymous source on the interweb to be fact.

All these numbers can be found by simply contacting the manufacturer or asking a/your rigger, which is what we as a sport should be encouraging jumpers with questions to do.

Even the SIM (section 5-3.C) talks about TSO's.

I think the statement to "hide" is misleading. Both the Vector and Mirage are under TSO 23b, which has no weight limit, only force. How can you advertise or hide something that doesn't exist?

I am incorrect about it being in those manuals, however.

While I understand many questions asked about gear in this forum, most, if not all, can be answered correctly by reading the manual or calling the manufacturer. Instead, we get people who are simply regurgitating information rather than understanding and explaining information. This eventually leads to a game of telephone where the information is distorted and incorrect by the time it gets to the end user.

If I had a nickel for every time someone said "I read on dropzone.com..." and that information was incorrect or misinterpreted, well, lets just say I could have fancy pants instead of the ones I'm wearing.

Besides, very few people will use the search function and we will see this same question come up again and again and againandagain....

My real point is that the info is out there and easy to find, in contrast to what SEREjumper seems to imply (not that what he said was negative)