Bluhdow

Mirage Sizing Question

Current setup is a Mirage G4 size M2. I've got a Smart 135 and a Pilot 150.

The current fit is pretty tight, I think the Smart is a little big for the reserve tray. Mirage's sizing guide describes the fit of a Pilot 150 as "optimal."

Aerodyne Research Pilot 132 Soft
Aerodyne Research Pilot 140 Optimal
Aerodyne Research Pilot 150 Optimal

Looking at picking up a Pilot 132, which is described in the sizing guide as "soft." I'm sure this means it's the smallest size that Mirage would recommend be fit into the rig.

Seems like it should be a decent fit with the Smart in there and a shorter closing loop. My question is, what am I missing? Are there any other variables out there that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!
Apex BASE

Current setup is a Mirage G4 size M2. I've got a Smart 135 and a Pilot 150.

The current fit is pretty tight, I think the Smart is a little big for the reserve tray. Mirage's sizing guide describes the fit of a Pilot 150 as "optimal."

Aerodyne Research Pilot 132 Soft
Aerodyne Research Pilot 140 Optimal
Aerodyne Research Pilot 150 Optimal

Looking at picking up a Pilot 132, which is described in the sizing guide as "soft." I'm sure this means it's the smallest size that Mirage would recommend be fit into the rig.

Seems like it should be a decent fit with the Smart in there and a shorter closing loop. My question is, what am I missing? Are there any other variables out there that I'm not thinking of?

Thanks!

Nope, sounds about right.

Keep in mind there is a ~10% variance between canopies of the same model... You could have one of the bigger ones.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Perfect, thanks!

Also, packing ability makes a difference. Some people can pack it smaller than others, and that can make a BIG difference.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly

Humidity is important factor as well.
Dry = bitch to pack
Humid = easy packing

If you jump in the desert , don't try to pack anything that a manufacturer located in Florida say it will be tight. You might succeed, but you will regret every second [:/]

"My belief is that once the doctor whacks you on the butt, all guarantees are off" Jerry Baumchen

And also take into account that we are at sea level in Florida, if you have any kind of elevation that will also add to your pack volume. ;) Most of the manufacturers are located here so if they say it'll be tight, if you ever took it to Colorado you'd need a vacuum bag to get it closed!!! :P

Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

And also take into account that we are at sea level in Florida, if you have any kind of elevation that will also add to your pack volume. ;) Most of the manufacturers are located here so if they say it'll be tight, if you ever took it to Colorado you'd need a vacuum bag to get it closed!!! :P

Please elaborate on that.
I was always taught that it was the humidity in Florida that made it easier to pack.
I don't see at all how atmospheric pressure could have any effect. It's going to be the same inside the container as out, when packing.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

The humidity plays a part in it and the air pressure plays a part in it also. I cannot tell you exactly why, but if you have a bag of potatoe chips at sea level, take them up in a plane, the sealed bag will expand as you climb. I cannot explain much more than that.
Blue SkiesBlack DeathFacebook
www.PLabsInc.com
www.SkydiveDeLand.com
www.FlyteSkool.ws

The humidity plays a part in it and the air pressure plays a part in it also. I cannot tell you exactly why, but if you have a bag of potatoe chips at sea level, take them up in a plane, the sealed bag will expand as you climb. I cannot explain much more than that.

The bag will expand because the volume of the air contained inside will increase as the pressure decreases and the bag has a specific geometry. See: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ideal_gas_law

I don't see how this would effect packing.

Right. The sealed bag will expand because the air cannot escape as the outside pressure decreases (Boyle's law).

But the parachutes aren't sealed. The pressure is the same on the inside and the outside. They don't even expand (as the sealed bag of chips would) in the plane as you climb because the air inside can escape out of the container, and even out of the canopy.
A bag of potato chips that is opened (say you open it on takeoff and share it with the others on the plane) won't expand.
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

But the parachutes aren't sealed.

Then that rigger should be looked at, it's clearly written out in the FARs that it must be sealed by the rigger when he/she finishes packing it.:D:D:D