GPSJane

Cause of a mal

I had my first mal on Saturday. Yes, I bought all the beer - we just changed the heading on my tab from "First jump on new canopy" to "First cutaway". This because it was my first jump on my brand new canopy.

The new canopy is a Pilot 168 and my old one was a Pilot 188. So, same canopy, just smaller. I've never really had problem with my old one and it always opens like a dream. I've only ever had line twists once on that canopy and that was due to a very bad body position.

In this jump I did a hop 'n pop from 7000 feet so wasn't going at terminal. My body position was not bad but I am not sure about it being 'perfect'. I had terrible line twists which turned into a spin and so I cut away.

I am wondering what kind of packing errors could cause the mal and what would have been wrong with my body position?
Only skydivers know why the birds sing; they don't have to pack a parachute!

Vis major?

Er, I am not following?

I got something like that. I was a foul not checking brakes after got my canopy recovered.

Ok we did check the toggles on recovery of the canopy because someone thought I had an unstowed toggle but they were both stowed just fine.

Hey Liz! Yikes - glad to hear u r ok. So how does the reserve fly then? B|

Some things I have learnt that help me not get line twists:
1. When folding the tail around to make your "cone", I don't roll the seams too much - put 2 twists in it and that's it.
2. Leaving enough line between your first stow and the risers also helps - the bag is further away from your back when coming "unstowed" and not bouncing around in your burble.
3. NB Body position! I go flat, stable and don't look at the canopy as it's inflating ("potato sack")

Disclaimer: I don't know how scientific any of these are but when I first started packing for myself I used to get twisties often. These are tips from fellow skydivers that work for me.

Btw - did you try to kick out of the line twists seeing as you had plenty altitude?
Cya
Chanti

Edited to add: I just realised it was a new canopy. Did you have a rigger look at it? If it does it again - may be manufacturing issue?

-Chanti-

Interesting, I only had my pilot 168 spin up on me one time in the 150 or so jumps I put on it. I was loading it a little more at the time then you are now.

I had the canopy all packed and ready to go but one of my "buddies" wanted to show me how to "psycho pack" :ph34r:. Soon after I was the lucky recipient of my first line twists in over 100 jumps. The canopy nosed down for 1.5 rotations with me on my back and then flew straight. This jump was from a 182 from 3k, I can't think of an aircraft that is easier to exit stable and square from! :P

For all my other pack jobs I left the nose alone (pulled it out a little actually), quartered the slider more away from the nose, and put a few rolls on the tail. I single stowed the locking bites, and double stowed the rest with a health amount of line between the last stow and the risers.

It always opened on headings, slowly :P, and never had line twists except for that one time.

"The restraining order says you're only allowed to touch me in freefall"
=P

sometimes malfunctions just happen. There is a lot of chaos in the airstream, and some of it might have gotten your canopy. While it is good to look for causes, sometimes there is no correctable cause, it just happens.

My personal view is that people are way too vigorous in the attempt to identify a cause, often being unwilling to accept "it happens."

In the absence of video from three viewpoints, or a clear rigging error, just accept it.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

I agree actually and I think it may have been 'just one of those things'. I just wanted to see what comments I got though.

I will defintey have my canopy looked at before I do another jump on it but other than that I am sure future jumps will be fine.

Hey Chanti! Yeah it wasn't all that bad. The reserve is like a bus!

Those first 2 points are very interesting. I have to admit that I didn't pack this one. Yes yes, I know, I must pack myself. I had a good excuse though because someone hooked up my slinks for me and I didn't come to the dz that day because of wetaher so he just gave it to the packer to pack. The same guy has packed many times for me though and I've never had a problem.

As far as body position goes I have read Scot Muller's article on body position http://www.dropzone.com/content/Detailed/636.html and I am sure Brian Germain also wrote one (?) and my body position has improved.

I was looking up and already holding on to my riser to kick out of the line twists but I went into such a spin that I just cutaway.

Oh and I will have someone look at the canopy for me before I hook it up again.

Doug that's very interesting as I have found the same thing with my old canopy - ie that it opens very slowly, very nicely and never has line twists. The only thing is that I have had many off-heading openings (body position or packing or lines?)

I actually pack just like you describe but this pack job was not me as I already said in a previous reply.

I reckon it was just one of those things then so I'll jump next week and see what happens.