blewaway5

a little advice from anyone in/know about the navy?

Ok, here's the deal. They're hitting me up pretty hard trying to get me to go into the nuke program, and my problem is I don't know if I should do that. My evaluation of the situation turned this up:

pros: !. be an E-4 in 6 months rather than two years
2. extra $12,000 enlistment bonus
3. if I re-up there's a $60,000 bonus!! (not sure of the details on how it's disbursed yet, but DAMN!)
4. great job market after I'm out

cons: 1. 6 year enlistment
2. 2 years worth of physics crammed into 6 months
3. 40 hours of those classes per week with apprx. 30 hours more studying for 1 1/2 years or so

Now, if anyone has some advice as far as should I do this or go for a defferent rating I'd love to hear about it:)

Truman Sparks for President

I have heard from many that the nuke program is unbelievable as far the money is concerned..the bonus..you will get a substantial check at first and then they will pay you out the rest in yearly checks for however many years they decide.... we're on a bonus and get our last check next sept... God, I love sept..

cool! I think when I heard some of the numbers they were telling me I promptly filed them in the too good to be true category and started questioning whether or not I'd heard them right. I'm seriously thinking that I may have to commit to the nuke training. Hard work, but the reward for that work does look good fromwhere I'm sitting.

One thing you need to know about bonuses. If I had reenlisted in Dec of 2000 I would have gotten a $24,000 bonus. Sounds pretty good huh.....Well...lets pick that apart and see if you still feel the same way. $24,000 over a 4 year enlistment. After taxes that comes to about $13,000. Yes..they screw you bad on taxes. So...that means I would actually pocket about $3250 per year. Not REALLY that much money.

I don't know...guess it depends on what you're doing.. of course they're going to get taxes... but after our first bonus check...we no longer have car payments and got completely out of debt...however..i've managed to put us back in debt..i seem to shop more when he's on cruise...that's when the sept check comes in handy..:D:D

sub guys hot rack it too.. meaning you don't have your own rack, you share, you get off, you wake up dude in yo bed and send him to work.. the kitchen will stow canned goods in your living space on a sub too.... be a photographers mate or a PR or somthin. at the school, material will be classified so you won't be taking your work home with you, very watchfull eye on the study room. if that kind of enviorment and pressure are kewl with you forge ahead, if some people did not make the sacrifice we would not have sea power to keep the nogoodniks outta here. + side you won't be on the KURSK

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

that bonus will be taxed 33 percent by uncy sam unless you do it in the arabian gulf, which theres a pretty good chance of.

Accelerate hard to get them looking, then slam on the fronts and rollright beside the car, hanging the back wheel at eye level for a few seconds. Guaranteed reaction- Dave Sonsky

yeah, if I do go nuke I probably won't be on a sub, rather a carrier. I'm just too damn big for them, I'd be getting in the way of absolutely everything! Besides, the sub force is still totally voluntary, so they can't make me do that one.

the racks will be the same size. we had a guy that was 7'2 on a destroyer, needles to say he wrecked his posture in a major way.

Navy??? are you planning on doing any skydiving in the next few years?? I hope not, especially if you become a submariner. Good luck on finding a DZ under the northern ice cap!
Not bashing the Navy! I have quite a bit of time at sea with these boys, they are hard workers (only the BM's.)
They Navy has some great programs if you are looking for life after the military. But, those 6 years will try the very essence of your soul, I promise. If you're gonna do it, go for carriers! (Good luck! Everyone wants carrier duty.)
Why not stick to the ground side of the Navy! USMC!!!!! (Shameless plug to boost enlistment!)

were you hitting on the cruise widows in your youth..?

I spent some time around Bremerton and Pensacola some years ago. ;) BTW.....you don't have to hit on them.....they come to you....:D One morning, as I stumbled out of this chicks house in Base housing, her neighbor taking notice, I thought to myself...."Self...you have GOT to stop going to that cursed NCO club." :S

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If ya go i hope you like submarines!!!
3-6 months no sunlight!

3-6 months with no women.

Not really at one time...if you go on a fast attack submarine you will go on one 6 month deployment every three years...and if you go on ballistic missile submarines you will only go out for about 70 days...sounds like a lot, but it goes quickly and boomers have two crews meaning that once the other crew has the boat you go onto a slack training schedule...four days per week 6-8 hours per day and you get paid a lot more than any other job in the Navy

i seem to shop more when he's on cruise...

Damn does that bring back horrible memories. Mispent days of my youth at the NCO club....[:/] Lonely wives+Alcohol=BAD situation...:o

Most of the guys that I was with actually prefered to be away from thier wives...puerto rico anyone?
They would probably be happy to let you keep the women if you wanted them;)