flyhi

French Military History

"You didn't recognize us? Big group of guys wearing green, Paris, marching around, 1940's?"

Coffee, keyboard, mess, thanks Trent.....B|

Hey lets calm down, the French government may have surrendered, that much may be true. But without the French resistance, the free French, and the resistance organisations in many of the other occupied countries, the war in Europe would almost certainly have been a harder one to win.
I think its extremely disrespectful to forget the contribution and sacrifice made by ordinary, everyday people just like us. These people risked almost certain death to cause as much disruption as possible to the occupying forces, and to enable sufficent intelligence to be gathered to ensure the success of the Overlord campaign..
How would you like it if people put down the contributions to a difficult war made by the likes of Canada, South Africa, Australia, and even the US, as insignificant?

--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

I've heard it isn't much fun being a tourist in France, because Americans aren't well liked...

My experience was that anyone who didn't speak French wasn't well liked. But if you tried, even if all you had was your left over high school French, the people were downright nice.
France isn't so bad. At least it's not Texas. :P
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Yeah, I agree. I went to France a few years ago (well, quite a few years ago), and had a fabulous time. I spoke decent but not great French, and I just tried to be polite to people.

After all, I'm in someone else's country, it probably behooves me to meet them halfway.

A guy I met in Paris said that while he was biking across the countryside (with NO French), he'd say the name of where he was trying to get, and then watch their hands. Because everyone in the country would point as they spoke; he'd see how many times they pointed in each direction, and go that ratio of those directions, and ask again.

Worked like a charm...

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)