Maksimsf

ZP or Hybrid canopy

Hello, I've been told that Hybrid canopies is made mostly for students for ease of packing and that flying characteristics is not differ. I was jumping Voyager 280 since my aff 1, it was an old canopy with probably close to 1k jumps. Recently all our student/rental gear got updated and I jumped brand new Voyager 280 and it was absolutely different canopy I was used to! My question is why not to make all canopies hybrids to make it easy to pack not only for students then? I think Hybrids are even cheaper to make? I just compared Pilot vs Solo price and its ~$300.

That is not the reason for the price difference in a Pilot and a Solo. Because Solo's are no longer hybrid canopies. They are made of all ZP or ZPX. The lower price difference for the Solo is probably to make the Solo more competitve for the student market. I just bought a new Pilot and Solo this year. The only choices were all ZP or all ZPX. According to Rob Fischer at Aerodyne, the only real difference between a Pilot and a Solo is the line trim. Sporty for the Pilot, more docile for the Solo.

Rob told me why they quit using the F-111 type fabric on the bottom, but I can't remember what he said. I got both of my canopies with ZPX, which breaks in faster, and packs up smaller than regular ZP. So having ZPX pack up smaller probably negates that reason for using the F111 type material, plus the ZPX is stronger and won't lose porosity over time like the F111 type. Seems all around a better idea. I'm sure using the same canopy design and changing the line set, putting a different name on it, and some extra reinforcement on the student version does save on production costs. I have been very happy with both versions.

Yes, you can switch Pilot and Solo line sets, as long as they are the same size canopies. The largest Pilot is a 230 and the smallest Solo is a 190. The only Pilots and Solos that are the same size are the 210 and 230. Someone off of student status could buy a 210 Pilot and have Aerodyne put a 210 Solo line set on it. And down the road when they were ready for it, they could have a 210 Pilot line set put on, and be almost like downsizing, without buying another canopy. That is just an example and you should talk to your instructor before you do anything like that. They are more likely to know what you can handle. If you order a new Pilot or Solo, Aerodyne will put which ever of the line sets you want on it. Rob Fischer is the guy at Aerodyne to talk to. Great guy and very helpful.