TheRealOps7

Will this helmet work? Protec A-bravo

I have a 'watermelon head', that's a size 7 and 3/4.

The student Benny helmets at the DZ go all the way up to XL but this still squeezes my head pretty bad, it's uncomfortable.

I went looking for a helmet and found that Protec makes a helmet that is used in skydiving but it doesn't come in a size to fit my head.

Protec does make an "A-Bravo" helmet that comes in sizes up to XXL and is said to fit heads up to 24.24 inches. This is right up where I need to be.

The Helmet does not cover the ears and uses a 4 point suspension.

Will this A-Bravo helmet (without ANY of the add-ons that could snag or cut) work as a student skydiving helmet? Here's a link: http://www.protechelmet.com/products.asp?cat=14

My head is also 7 3/4" and I'm with you on difficulty in finding helmets.

The helmet you linked is a bad idea for a few reasons, but I'll tell you from experience that half-shell helmets sort of suck in freefall. If you're going to get a half-shell to jump in, make sure your instructors are ok with it and don't get one with odd-gear-grabbing bungees sticking out of the back of it.

Bonehead has a XXL shell in the mindwarp that fit me really well. It is sort of expensive, though.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have this helmet. Originally got it for a lightweight patroling helmet to replace my kevlar, but still have the ability to mount NVG's, helmet light ect... since then I have jumped it in the military, with IR strobe on the back, and civilian, with nothing on it. I havnt had any problems with it. It is incredibly comfortable as well.
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.

So far you two reports, one suggests that a half-shell is not good for jumping, and the other says he's had no problems jumping the exact lid you're looking at. Now check out the jump numbers and time-in-sport between the two of them.

The half shell Protec producst aren't a great idea because you can see the 'thickness' of the Protec designs. Due to the extra layer of padding, they stick out further than most skydiving-made helmets. There have been reports of lines or risers getting stuck under the 'lip' at the back of a full-shell Protec, and in those helmets the 'lip' is lower and curved in around the bottom of the head, reducing the amount it protrudes.

The half-shell design moves that lip up higher on the helmet, and up further out on the curve of the back of your head, increasing the snag potential. Just because a guy with 81 jumps has used it without a ptoblem on 'some' of his jumps, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

The other Dave says a Bonehead will fit your melon, so look into one of those. Yes, they run a couple hundred, but it will be worth it. If you stick with the sport, the helmet will last a lifetime. I have been jumping a Bonehead Mindwarp for 14 years and probably 4000 jumps, and it's in great shape. If you end up not sticking with the sport, you'll be able to get 75% of your money back selling it on the used market no problem.

Yes, Sparky, that's a good price but my head measures 24.25 inches around. That is off the chart for Benny, even in the XXL size.

Your head is only slightly bigger than mine and I wear a Benny. It fits great and is very comfortable.
__

My mighty steed

Yes, Sparky, that's a good price but my head measures 24.25 inches around. That is off the chart for Benny, even in the XXL size.

The XX-Large says (over 23.4 in).......you might give it a try.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

So far you two reports, one suggests that a half-shell is not good for jumping, and the other says he's had no problems jumping the exact lid you're looking at. Now check out the jump numbers and time-in-sport between the two of them.

The half-shell design moves that lip up higher on the helmet, and up further out on the curve of the back of your head, increasing the snag potential. Just because a guy with 81 jumps has used it without a ptoblem on 'some' of his jumps, doesn't mean it's a good idea.

Harsh bro, B| I never said it was a good choice, i simply stated a personal experience, that is all. But regardless I bought a BH Revolve which I know jump on weekends. Also very comfortable.
Jack of all trades.
Military Free Fall Jumpmaster.
USA Static-line Jumpmaster.

Harsh bro, I never said it was a good choice, i simply stated a personal experience

Really? You don't think this statement makes it sounds like a good choice?

I have jumped it in the military, with IR strobe on the back, and civilian, with nothing on it. I havnt had any problems with it. It is incredibly comfortable as well

It sure does to me, and to a guy with a handful of jumps, 81 seems like a lot and enough for you to know if a helmet will work or not. Be careful with what you say and how you say it. You would be surprised how many people will show up at the DZ with odd equipment or ideas about jumping that they 'researched' on their own, and are now ready to take them 'live' on a real jummp.

Mine is 23.5, I stopped by Para-Gear last month because I was contracted to do a left coast demo and my gear was in Texas...Needed a White helmet, they had a Benny in XXL at a great price so I took it.

Great helmet IMO, except this one is a bit loose on me...I can't believe one that size would be uncomfortable on you.

I also have an XL Gunner that fits like a glove after baking it...it too was bigger than I'd expected in 'stock' configuration.

Order the XX Benny, if it doesn't work, wear the box it came it!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~