Gravitymaster

Did you support President Clinton's war in Bosnia

Can you give me the U.N. Security Council Resolution number?

No, don't feel like looking for it. This took 2 seconds to find though "The UN Security Council has voted unanimously to extend the UN peacekeeping mission in Bosnia until 15 July."

If there's no economic benefit, how can it be about oil?

I said there was no economic benefit to Bosnia.

If it's about oil, how come we didn't go into Iraq during the first Gulf War? How come we didn't take over Kuwait if it's about oil?

I didn't say it was about oil. You asked why people are protesting more, and it's because that's the perception of a lot of people. Didn't say it was right or wrong, just stating what's what.

And the reason we didn't go into Baghdad during the gulf war is because Saudi Arabia told us not to. The reason we didn't occupy Kuwait is because our goal was to free them from occupation.

Who was this impression created by? Why was this impression created?

I couldn't pinpoint exactly who created that impression. I think it's that a lot of people have come to the same conclusion. There are a multitude of connections between oil, the current administration, and the middle east. People are drawing conclusions based on those connections.

Apparently you haven't been reading some of the accounts of torture coming out by many whom have escaped Iraq. Apparently you aren't aware of the estimated million people Saddam has put to death.

Sure I am, but I haven't heard our administration put that forth as our primary reason for action there. Even they don't claim that is their main motivation for war.

Do you think he would still be gassing them if he wasn't under the world's spotlight?

Probably. But that kind of proves that the current situation of having the spotlight on him and having inspectors in there is stopping him from doing that, without killing anyone.

But it is in progress and if the U.S. were to pull all our troops from the Middle East, don't you think it would continue on an even broader scale?

Can you show me evidence of Saddam killing civilians while UN inspectors are there? And I don't advocate ignoring the situation in the middle east.

Why aren't millions protesting in the streets for Saddam to leave Iraq so the Iraqi people can be free?

Because he would ignore them. He's not running a democratic nation or relying on public support. He's a dictator, there's no point in protesting to get his attention, he doesn't care what the people think. In the free world the leaders are supposed to serve the people's interests. So, they're voicing their opinions so the leaders know what they are.

If there's no economic benefit, how can it be about oil?

I said there was no economic benefit to Bosnia.

Which implies there "IS" for going to war with Iraq.

If it's about oil, how come we didn't go into Iraq during the first Gulf War? How come we didn't take over Kuwait if it's about oil?

I didn't say it was about oil. You asked why people are protesting more, and it's because that's the perception of a lot of people. Didn't say it was right or wrong, just stating what's what.

My question is what is the underlying reason there have been so much opposition for this action and none for similar actions.

On another note: Where were all the protests when Clinton invaded Haiti? Is the answer that had GWB claimed this was a "Humanitarian Effort", it would be supported?

And the reason we didn't go into Baghdad during the gulf war is because Saudi Arabia told us not to.

Since when did we start letting our Foreign policy be dictated by Saudi Arabia? Are you saying if they hadn't told us to stop we would have invaded Iraq and taken over the oil fields?

Who was this impression created by? Why was this impression created?

I couldn't pinpoint exactly who created that impression. I think it's that a lot of people have come to the same conclusion.

Care to make a guess?

There are a multitude of connections between oil, the current administration, and the middle east. People are drawing conclusions based on those connections.

What benefit would it be to America to take over Iraqi oil fields? Oil Companies buy it from them, refine it and sell it.

Apparently you haven't been reading some of the accounts of torture coming out by many whom have escaped Iraq. Apparently you aren't aware of the estimated million people Saddam has put to death.

Sure I am, but I haven't heard our administration put that forth as our primary reason for action there. Even they don't claim that is their main motivation for war.

Are you suggeting more support if they did?

Do you think he would still be gassing them if he wasn't under the world's spotlight?

Probably. But that kind of proves that the current situation of having the spotlight on him and having inspectors in there is stopping him from doing that, without killing anyone.

What happens in a few years when the inspectors leave?

But it is in progress and if the U.S. were to pull all our troops from the Middle East, don't you think it would continue on an even broader scale?

Can you show me evidence of Saddam killing civilians while UN inspectors are there? And I don't advocate ignoring the situation in the middle east.

What happens if we go along with the U.N. inspections for a few years and Saddam is a good boy while they are there. Once they leave don't you think he's going back to what he was doing before the first Gulf War? When he does that, the same people protesting GWB now are going to be outraged he left Saddam in power. He can't win either way so he might as well do what he thinks is morally right.

Why aren't millions protesting in the streets for Saddam to leave Iraq so the Iraqi people can be free?

Because he would ignore them. He's not running a democratic nation or relying on public support. He's a dictator, there's no point in protesting to get his attention, he doesn't care what the people think. In the free world the leaders are supposed to serve the people's interests. So, they're voicing their opinions so the leaders know what they are.

Don't you think the French and German govt's would be putting more pressure on Saddam to leave Iraq if millions were protesting in the street for Saddam to leave? Don't you think Saddam views all the protests as encouragement to continue to play a hide and seek game with the inspectors?

Don't you think a more peaceful way to settle this would be for the world to speak with one voice and demand Saddam leave Iraq?

Some have had UN backing, most have had other nations on their side.

As the United States has other nations on it's side, as well...

Actually, that's what I was trying to say. Some *presidents* had other nations on their side.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

I wonder why it was O.K. for Clinton to take unilateral action against Milosevich...

He didn't.

Yes he did. There was no vote for the action by the U.N. Security Council.

There was, but that isn't the only way to get approval from Europe. But that point has been pretty thoroughly addressed elsewhere in this thread.

The reason Europe backed the operations is that it's in their own backyard.

I disagree. I think Europe is making the same mistakes they made when they tried to appease Hitler.

As far as Iraq, I agree, but you were asking about the former Yugoslavia.

Answer this question: If Saddam doesn't have WMD, then why is he threatening to use them if America attacks?

I fully believe he has WMD, and to me it's one of the legitimate reasons to attack, but that isn't what you asked in this thread.

Pretty much every president in the last half century has had some overseas war, conflict, coup d'etat or what have you to deal with. Some have had UN backing, most have had other nations on their side.

Then why is it SO important this time for GWB to have U.N. approval over and over? Be honest!!

As far as I'm concerned, the approval is implied in that Saddam has failed to comply with existing UN resolutions. Those countries who passed the resolutions, but are now balking at the prospect of war were basically bluffing and are now undermining the value and strength of the UN.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

***Can you show me evidence of Saddam killing civilians while UN inspectors are there? And I don't advocate ignoring the situation in the middle east. ***

Sure. try this link

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3284-614607,00.html

I guess you missed the part about while UN inspectors were there I'm pretty sure they weren't there in the 80's which is the time frame the article you linked is talking about.

BOOBIES:ph34r:

I *felt* boobies.>:(

I *have* boobies.:D

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

***Can you show me evidence of Saddam killing civilians while UN inspectors are there? And I don't advocate ignoring the situation in the middle east. ***

Sure. try this link

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,3284-614607,00.html

I guess you missed the part about while UN inspectors were there I'm pretty sure they weren't there in the 80's which is the time frame the article you linked is talking about.

Guess you missed this in the article

"This is one of the many witness statements that were taken by researchers from Indict — the organisation I chair — to provide evidence for legal cases against specific Iraqi individuals for war crimes, crimes against humanity and genocide.

"This account was taken in the past two weeks."

"The 17 UN resolutions passed since 1991 on Iraq include Resolution 688, which calls for an end to repression of Iraqi civilians. It has been ignored. Torture, execution and ethnic-cleansing are everyday life in Saddam’s Iraq.

Notice how it says these occurances are part of 'EVERYDAY LIFE" in Iraq? Do you honestly believe Saddam is afraid the Weapons Inspectors will find out about hia atrocities? Thats not even what they are supposed to be there for so why should they care? Have you EVER heard of a Weapons Inspector, U.S. Congressman or Hollywood Actor EVER visiting an Iraqi Prison?........... No?........... Why do you think that is?

You might also try reading a little about Iraq at Amnesty International.

http://web.amnesty.org/ai.nsf/countries/iraq?OpenView&Start=1&Count=30&Expandall