jimmurt

Lineset questions

Hi,

I have a safire2 169. Is the type of lineset usually stamped somewhere on the lines? If not, what is the best way of telling the difference between say vectran lines and spectra lines.

Are certain canopies always manufatured with the same lineset type?

And finally, is it straight forward to swap main canopies on a rig or is it soemthing a rigger would have to do? How much does it cost approx?

Thanks.

Hi,

I have a safire2 169. Is the type of lineset usually stamped somewhere on the lines? If not, what is the best way of telling the difference between say vectran lines and spectra lines.

Are certain canopies always manufatured with the same lineset type?

And finally, is it straight forward to swap main canopies on a rig or is it soemthing a rigger would have to do? How much does it cost approx?

Thanks.

Icarus recommends the Vectran lines, that's what my Safire2 169 has. Pretty simple to tell the difference in newer canopies, spectra is white, vectran is yellowish.

Swapping a main canopy isn't difficult, but I highly suggest you have a rigger look over your shoulder the first couple times. ;)

I've seen FAR too many mains hooked up wrong in ways that could seriously ruin your day by people that didn't understand fully what they were doing.[:/]
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Thanks for all the info. The picws and link are very helpful as well as the other tips.

I'm 90% sure it's vectran going by the replies and the pics but I will double check.

On a similar subject: does a couple of small patches on a canopy (say a 150) affect its performance much? How does it generally affect it's value when selling?

Thanks for all the info. The picws and link are very helpful as well as the other tips.

I'm 90% sure it's vectran going by the replies and the pics but I will double check.

On a similar subject: does a couple of small patches on a canopy (say a 150) affect its performance much? How does it generally affect it's value when selling?

If done properly, patches shouldn't have any effect on a parachutes performance.

I'll let Paul talk about the resale value.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

is it straight forward to swap main canopies on a rig or is it soemthing a rigger would have to do?

The above recommendation about having a rigger supervise is excellent.

However, there is a variant of this task that is commonly done and is relatively easy. Swapping canopies AND RISERS together is much less complicated. I have seen CReW dogs do that several times in a day to match canopies and jumpers (most common when training new pups.) This is also done when "demoing" (test driving) canopies before purchase.

That said.... my only cutaway was due to doing this REALLY fast and mounting the main backwards. (Yes, I know that it is possible to land backwards. Yes, I have seen the photos and award cards for "backwards CReW". Yes, some of you have done it, or would do it. However, the canopy was a Lightning and was smaller than my usual canopy. Prudence dictated getting rid of it rather than attempting to land it.)
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!