Sky_doggy

Canopy size comparison

Hello,

Could someone help me with a size comparison. I am told that PD calculate their canopy area differently to other manufactures. Is this correct?

If so, I am trying to understand the relative difference between a Saber2 170 to a Pilot 188.

Thanks

from the link:

The Pilot and the Sabre2 use the same material.

Aerodyne and PD use the same measuring sizes.

A pilot 188 is comparable to a Sabre2 190. A Sabre2 170 is comparable to a Pilot 168.

So the answer to your question is "One size."

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2246307#2246307
"There are NO situations which do not call for a French Maid outfit." Lucky McSwervy

"~ya don't GET old by being weak & stupid!" - Airtwardo

from the link:

The Pilot and the Sabre2 use the same material.

Aerodyne and PD use the same measuring sizes.

A pilot 188 is comparable to a Sabre2 190. A Sabre2 170 is comparable to a Pilot 168.

So the answer to your question is "One size."

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?post=2246307#2246307

My experience has been quite different.

Your mileage may vary based on container manufacturer. A friend had an Infinity that held a 135 class canopy. There was no way a ZP Pilot 132 was going to fit, she sold it and bought a Sabre2 135 and never had a packing problem again.

The point of this post is to remind everyone that a Vector sized for a 150 compared to a Talon sized for a 150 compared to a Wings sized for a 150 will all have different container volumes. The best advice on canopy compatability has always been and will always be the container manufacturer :)

Well, if I've understood the responses correctly that's two different comparisons.

One is for the canopy's physical area - where the Pilot is comparable to the similarly sized Sabre2.

The other is for pack volumes, where the Pilot 132 may not be comparable to a Sabre2 135...

Although MY experience for the latter is different to yours. I had a Wings W7 (no reserve in it at the time, so not the most accurate way of doing things) and I packed a Sabre2 135 in the main tray. It completely disfigured the reserve tray and looked too big for the container. I then packed a Pilot 132 in it, and it looked fine.
Sky Switches - Affordable stills camera tongue switches and conversion adaptors, supporting various brands of camera (Canon, Sony, Nikon, Panasonic).

The other is for pack volumes, where the Pilot 132 may not be comparable to a Sabre2 135...

I realise that the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'evidence', but I couldn't help noting this: these are the two main canopies and sizes in our house at the moment, and they really do pack up the same. Both are somewhere between 400 and 600 jumps old, pack loose in my V347 (Smart 150) and firmly in her smaller Jav (PDR 126).

Obviously there are variations even within canopy models though... make of this data point what you will.
--
"I'll tell you how all skydivers are judged, . They are judged by the laws of physics." - kkeenan

"You jump out, pull the string and either live or die. What's there to be good at?

Well, if I've understood the responses correctly that's two different comparisons.

One is for the canopy's physical area - where the Pilot is comparable to the similarly sized Sabre2.

Although MY experience for the latter is different to yours. I had a Wings W7 (no reserve in it at the time, so not the most accurate way of doing things) and I packed a Sabre2 135 in the main tray. It completely disfigured the reserve tray and looked too big for the container. I then packed a Pilot 132 in it, and it looked fine.

Two points: I was told at a dealership that Pilots pack larger than Sabre2's and Safire2's. Also, the new ZPX Pilots pack smaller than the regular ZP Pilots. I currently own a ZPX 188 Pilot, which initially didn't pack very small, though now it seems to be be packing smaller all the time.

Second, I've also heard it said that PD uses a more conservative method of measuring their canopies than the standard PIA method. Thus their 193 reserve is said to be a 200 footer, and the 176 more like 182 ft. per PIA reckoning. Or so I've been told.

Your humble servant.....Professor Gravity !