Unstable

Astra AAD - Out of Production?

More out of curiosity than for any good reason, I've followed the Astra AAD for about 8 years now, although I've never owned one. Interesting AAD's ~ I've always wondered if they would have farred better had they come out later, but that is neither here nor there (Riggerrob has posted some excellent threads as to the pros and cons of the Astra, I'm sure a search will provide good information for those deciding if they are a viable alternative to a Cypres or Vigil.

However, I've also noticed that Paragear has pulled them from their catalog, and I'm not finding as many posted. Does anybody in 'the know' have information as to whether or not FXC has discontinued production or support of the Astra?
=========Shaun ==========

A student died in the US in 2004 when his Astra did not fire. It was still in "Ready" status after he hit the ground at 120 mph. I think that was the beginning of end for Astra...

Not to be repetitive, but the Astra DID NOT kill, nor did it contribute to his death...

A student died in the US in 2004 when his Astra did not fire. It was still in "Ready" status after he hit the ground at 120 mph. I think that was the beginning of end for Astra...

Not to be repetitive, but the Astra DID NOT kill, nor did it contribute to his death...

Here we go again ;-)... I know that, you are responssible for your life, blah, blah, blah. I was just talking about Astra's relalibility.

RLY? :o Again, any links to the incident would be VERY interesting. WIthout getting into the philosophies of AAD reliability and Maintenance, stuff like

1. Calibration
2. Maintenance
3. Battery replacement & management
4. Correct Rigging

All play a part in a student hitting the ground at 120 mph. My guess is that there were a number of factors in play that allowed the AAD it's opportunity to fail.
=========Shaun ==========