linuxguy

Painting Helmets

Hi
I am getting myself a protec helmet (basic and freefly friendly) and I want to draw /paint a silver dragon on the back of it.
My question is ..
What sort of paints would I use ?
should I then varnish the whole helmet once Dragon is painted ?
would varnish damage the helmet in any way ?
please let me know specifically if you have done this urself
Thanks

i painted my old protec with normal spray paint and then put a clear coat on it.... it will come off eventualy, but mine lasted me about a year before it really started to show it around the ears where i would pick it up to pt it on.... my advice...... run sand paper over it to ruff up the surface so the paint will have something to stick to better than the glossy factory finish........clear sparay paint should work just great for a clear coat to protect it.... just be sure to use thin coats so it doesn't have a chance to run.

I saw a commercial on the telly the other (rainy) day, for a new spray paint - which is supposed to bond chemically to plastics. I believe it is made by Krylon.

My only concern would be it's possible effects on the plastic's resiliency - making the thing pretty wouldn't be worthwhile if it shatters on impact.

I'd be interested to know, because I'm going to purchase a Pro-tec as well.

----------------=8^)----------------------
"I think that was the wrong tennis court."

My only concern would be it's possible effects on the plastic's resiliency - making the thing pretty wouldn't be worthwhile if it shatters on impact.

Polycarbonate helmets are not safe to paint, they do shatter on impact. Fibreglass, kevlar and carbon helmets are all OK.

Polycarbonate helmets are not safe to paint, they do shatter on impact. Fibreglass, kevlar and carbon helmets are all OK.

Also spray paint 'melts' polystyrene... which is what lines the protec if i'm not mistaken.......

Thanks for the info
I will try it :)My other option is to find a wicked sticker ( much easier) but chances are I won't find what I want.
I suppose !

Go to a window tinting place and see if they can cut, or refer you to someone who can cut a custom sticker. I've always put something a little extra on my fire helmet so naturally I did the same thing to the protec that I jump in. It will probably be single color but the plastic stuff they use holds up well. Between training and responses, mine lasted probably 10 hours in burning buildings (spaced over a year and a half).
I am not the man. But the man knows my name...and he's worried

There is a product called Bulldog, I think. You can get it at an autobody shop. It is used to make the paint bond to plastic car parts. It will make paint stick to anything, and much more permanent like. Good stuff.

Rattle can polyurethane works well for a topcoat too. I used car paint, texture paint and some glow paint, then rattle canned a topcoat on it of poly. It has held up very well, shiny too.

----------------------------
bzzzz