hawkbit

Sports Cam... thoughts?

I posted this in Video and Photography as well, but thought I would thow it out to the mass as well :)There is an advertisement in this months Parachutist for it.

www.endlessfall.net

Seems like a pretty cool system, but it cost about as much as another camcorder and thats a lot of jumps!
However, from a safety standpoint it looks pretty good. I don't have near enough jumps to consider a camera, which is why this intrigues me so much.

Any thoughts?
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"You don't quit playing because you get old, you get old because you quit playing"

Anything with wires from the camera/helmet to the skydiver can't possibly be "The Safest Video System Available", whether there's an in-line disconnect or not. Any video helmet needs an emergency release, even though most (including mine) don't. A cable is an extra thing to get in the way (even not in an emergency) or go wrong. This has been tried before (007 and Hitachi VM-H100), and was never that successful. Most of the people who had them switched to PC100 or similar for simplicity reasons and because the DV cameras were finally light enough to be worn on your melon.

(>o|-<

If you don't believe me, ask me.

had a guy at my dz try that.. he got his camera from some other web ste though.... can't atach diffrent lenses, when he faced the sun the whole picture washed out and the overall quality just wasn't that great.....

It's more retro than anything else. Pouch cams were used "back in the day", before as was mentioned eslewhere in this thread, DV cams became light enough to be safely borne on one's head, and can be made lighter still by putting the battery pack off the helmet with a break-away lead, if one want to do so.

The product is ridiculously overpriced and still does nothing to eliminate the biggest helmet-cam hazard: snagging.

Not only that, but I don't think that dinky little lens and that dinky little element inside it is up to the demands of the job, but I'd have to see the specs and know execly which elements are being used.

I'm checking out this "Mike Swain" guy's website right now.

"Dimensions: 1 inch square

Chipset: 1/4 Super HAD Color CCD

Lines of Resolution: 380

Low Light Rating: 0.5

Power Requirement: 12 volts DC / 120 mA

Lens: 3.6 mm, pre-focused

White Balance: Automatic

Electronic Shutter: Automatic 1/60 to 1/100,000"

for $ 400??? BULLSHIT! I can get the same element off eBay (or far better ones!) for less than $50!

This is nothing but a colossal ripoff. That $900 doesn't even get you a helmet or a Newton Sight!

All you're getting is a cheap-assed camera element and a couple of wires! Billvon or I could cobble one of these up for you in ten mintes with a soldering iron!

You're FAR better off saving your money and buying a REAL DV cam.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."