jtval

How often HAVEN'T you jumped

1-when do you pull yourself from a load?

When the weather looks like it will not allow a jump to be done within the parameters of the FARs.

2 What are your reasons?

SAFETY!!!

and the BIG QUESTION is
3if you are in the plane and you get a report of ground winds that you think may be too much, do you ride the plane down?

You bet your sweet ass I do, and I've never regretted doing that too!

4-how much is too much?

Anything gusting over 25 mph.
Mike Turoff
Instructor Examiner, USPA
Co-author of Parachuting, The Skydiver's Handbook

my questions to you are
2 What are your reasons?

and the BIG QUESTION is
3if you are in the plane and you get a report of ground winds that you think may be too much, do you ride the plane down?

4-how much is too much?

I tend to stay on the ground if at least 2 things don't really feel right. This is somewhat hazy tho... Like if there's a lot of wind, turbulence, if it's really hot or really cold, me feeling not real good, a really low ceiling. But it also includes me not having all that much money and me not having anything in particular to do on the jump, or me having something to do BESIDES the jump (like photographing/videoing something interesting on the ground). Also if the ceiling is low, I have to really feel like jumping, or have like a new canopy to fly, else I'm saving my money.

If it's real windy/turbulent tho, or if I'm ill, of course I'll stay on the ground.

This weekend I could finally jump camera, for the first time. I did 5 jumps, one on saturday, no prob. The first jump sunday, the wind was so much I came just about straight down on my Spectre (WL 1.1). Switched to my Lightning (WL 1.25) for the remaining jumps, wasn't blown backwards, and landed in the right field everytime, so no probs. However some tandems WERE having problems, so I had to think about it a bit after 2 jumps. A couple of guys asked if I REALLY wanted to jump (I'm a wind-wuss, usually, because, hey, I can jump another day). But I did want to, and so did most of the jumpers (students were grounded tho). It was okay, just spot real good, pay attention to heading (we were doing CReW) and pay attention to the landing pattern. No prob.

I've ridden the plane down twice because of a (for me) too low ceiling. Both times I had a snivvely Spectre on my back. I wanted 3k, at least.
The first time I was a student. I would definitely have gotten out the last time tho, at 2500ft, if I had had my Lightning.
And now I suppose I'd get out regardless. But not then.

Never had to deal with changed winds in the plane, so no idea. I usually refer to experienced jumpers if I'm not sure, if they say it's okay, it usually is.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Ive removed myself for winds, not feeling well, and other safety related issues

2 What are your reasons?
safety

and the BIG QUESTION is

Ive only had to do this once. most of the other times I pulled myself Before we got on the load. on the one time I rode the plane down the winds came out of nowhere so we sat and landed with east winds on a south runway.
what an eerie feeling LOL but the pilot kicks ass and we trusted him(or else I would NOTbe on the plane in the first place)
4-how much is too much?

as far as winds go...It really dependeds Ive pulled myself off a relatively LOW wind day justb/c of that feeling.
of course the whole load has a long spot(landed safely but PPLP:P on them for busting my chops! HAHAH)

dont be afriad to give examples

My photos

My Videos

I've pulled myself for winds many times. And just recently sat out a couple loads after the load I was on had an engine go out at altitude. Have also missed loads if someone is hurt.

This past spring I road the plane down when we got a report that the winds had pickup. My team went without me, they know I don't like winds so I didn't get any grief. My limit is if the gusts are 10 higher then the steady wind, or when winds are above 20.

FrogLady