mdrejhon

Do container manufacturers re-color a flap?

Hello,

I have been shopping for replacement gear on an unexpected basis, and I think I have found one that fits my needs perfectly -- It's a black rig as I wanted! Except a few square inches of the container is pink instead of red, which clashes with the rest of my gear, and is a girl color rather than a guy color.

I am unfamiliar with the practice, so I'm curious: Do people ever send rigs back to the factory to get a flap replaced with a different color, or re-dyed, etc? I'm wondering what the practice is? (send back the container to factory, get a single flap replaced with a different color? Is it generally expensive or cheap for them to do?)

Also, I might just jump it as-is -- pink and all -- I can just say I "support the cause"; which is the gentlemanly way of doing it.

If any guy can work a pink rig, I would think the organizer of the Rainbow Boogie could! ;):D

I would guess it depends on the parts that need replacing. If it's just something like handles & a pop top you can just order those (not sure if you bought the rig I saw listed recently where those pieces were the only pink parts) and have your rigger install them at the repacks. As for other panels, would probably have to send the whole thing back.

"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Depending upon the rig and the location of the color you would want changed.

Manufactures would do it depending on locations some of course are a simple switch and some require much more time and sewing+rigging.

A very experienced jumper 8,000+ jumps that I know of replaces a part of his rig every couple years since he has a neon color which tend to fade rather quickly (aka 1-3 yrs depending how much it is jumped) after which time the rig looks brand new!

@ likestojump

That is a spectacular change! Looks like a brand new rig compared to the original
For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Hi champ,

@ likestojump

That is a spectacular change! Looks like a brand new rig compared to the original

That rig had more than a flap or two replaced. The main lift web from the hip ring to the chest ring went from T-8 to T-7 and the reserve handle went from a pud to a D-handle.

JerryBaumchen

Hi champ,

@ likestojump

That rig had more than a flap or two replaced. The main lift web from the hip ring to the chest ring went from T-8 to T-7 and the reserve handle went from a pud to a D-handle.

JerryBaumchen

that container was washed, had the MLW replaced between the rings from T8 to T7, new BOC put on and the center flap and reserve pin cover flap replaced as well as a regular D-ring ripcord handle put on

the washing and the flap replacements made the biggest visible difference. the rest was functional.