Chris-Ottawa

You just bought a used set of gear from dz.com, you don't know the seller/rigger personally, but the gear comes with a repack which is still in date. Do you:

When I sold my rig, it had a fresh inspection and repack. I wanted to verify that I was selling a rig with no problems (hadn't been jumped for a while), and also wanted to know that the buyer's rigger wouldn't find any problems.

I get the inspection before you sell it. You were probably shipping it to someone, and there's no reason to waste everyones time shipping a faulty peice of equipment. The inspection let's you advertsie the condition of the item with confidence.

Why include the repack? The buyers rigger is just going to have to fire the reserve to inspect it anyway, so why waste the money on a repack? Beyond that, what if your gear doesn't sell as a complete rig and you have to part it out? Then you have to open your own 'fresh' repack. One step further, what if it takes more than 6 months to sell? The repack was useless in that case.

It's said that the majority of the wear on a reserve is from packing, so the better move is to have everythying inspected, then bag it all up in some sturdy plastic bags. and put it in a closet until it sells.

In my case, I had the repack done to verify there were no problems with the reserve after having been stored...it was for my peace of mind knowing that the buyers rigger couldn't and wouldn't find any problems. I didn't mind spending the bucks for the repack, as I could then sell it confidently knowing that the rig was perfect. As far as parting it out, that was not something I was willing to do, though I got a lot of requests to sell the main and Cypres separately. I agree about the wear and tear on reserves on repack cycles, but in my case, I had skipped one while I wasn't jumping, so cyclewise, the reserve was the same as if I had been jumping it regularly.
Burn the land and boil the sea,
You can't take the sky from me.

It gets a repack, if for no other reason then that I want to personally inspect the full rig and the reserve.

Ditto. I'd have my rigger unpack and inspect it all.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

I had my rigger open it and inspect everything - and found out that the reserve that was packed in it was a PD 160!

I can understand a seller being mistaken about the model/size of the reserve he owned, or not wanting to unpack it, but I wouldn't consider buying it before seeing the data card--via emailed photo if necessary. Of course only the inspection will reveal that the packed reserve matches the data card. I took in a repack job that had critical data worn off the orphaned reserve's "death label" so it couldn't be verified as "approved." I was probably the first rigger to refuse to repack it.