bqmassey

GPS Watch

I'm considering the purchase of a GPS watch. I need help with some models to research. Right now I'm looking at the Garmin 405 or 610, but I haven't been able to find much about what products might compete with the Garmin line up. Here's what I'm looking for.

Requirements:

• High-Sensitivity GPS I want something that will be accurate and get fixes quickly. I'd like it to be able to maintain the fix while in the airplane, but that's not a requirement. I know you're only going to get so much out of a GPS watch with no external antenna, but I think it's possible with some of the newer chipsets.

• Navigation Functionality Must be able to store waypoints and provide an easy-to-read navigation display.

• Storing/Downloading Tracks Must be able to store tracks and be able to transfer them to computer. Extra points if they're GPX tracks or easily converted into KML.

• Heart Rate Monitor. I plan on using this for running as well. Must have good HR training functionality.

• Rechargeable Don't want to constantly change batteries.

• Speed/pace readout. Must be able to show me an accurate speed and/or pace readout.

Would-like-to-haves:

• Barometer I'd really like to have track logs with accurate elevation data. (it'd be cool to see my skydive in 3D on Google Earth.)

• Backup Altimeter Kind of goes along with the one above. I'd like it to have a prominent altitude readout. Should be either barometric based or have a GPS margin-of-error that would allow it to still be useful in freefall.

• Virtual Race I'd like to be able to set up a route and pace, and have it tell me how far ahead of or behind the pace I am. Garmin calls this "Virtual Partner" but I thought that sounded kind of sleezy. Extra points if I can race recorded tracks.

• Compass It'd be cool if it had an internal (non-GPS) compass, but it's not that important.

Anyone have any experience with GPS watches?

If you're thinking of using a GPS watch for skydiving, forget it.

I've tried a few for the GPS function, including some quite expensive ones. Not one of them is any good inside of an airplane. The garmin foretrex models are the only ones that (sort of) work (and they have their own thread about using one as an alti).

The watches may start working (GPS) somewhere during your jump, but there are way better gps solutions for skydiving (see the wingsuit forum).

As an alti, again, forget it.
Prominent alti readout, meh, the numbers are small and there are too many of them for freefall, plus they update too slow they can't quite keep up with freefalling (the good models, some models do not keep up AT ALL). Some experienced jumpers use a suunto watch for an alti but for beginners no way, if you want a digitital alti buy a real digital alti.
Backup altimeter? Don't jump with 2 visible altimeters that's only going to be confusing.

Buy one good skydiving altimeter and leave the watch on the ground.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I use the Garmin 405 for running and biking and have taken it on a few jumps. I'm pretty happy with it. Has most of the functions you wanted. No barometer or alti. I sat near the door on the jumps I had the watch on and it tracked the entire ride to altitude and the jump. You can download all the info on the computer and view it on a map.