James525

Packing guide

How are you doing?

I was half-teasing about the space business ;) - but flat packers do use up a lot of room in a crowded packing hall, and once you've practised a few times then I don't think there's anything less 'safe' about pro-packing. I doubt it's possible to do an objective comparison of packing technique versus cutaways, since most flat packers would be students and I'm guessing they're more prone to malfunctions because of body position and just general inexperience. And they probably take fewer chances with potentially recoverable mals.

In terms of how I'm doing, about 2,300 jumps and two malfunctions so far - and those mals were nearly 2,000 jumps apart - so not too bad (touch wood). Also, I think the first of those mals was from a flat pack job! :)

I don't want to add petrol to a fire that seems to have gone out, but I have an update:

Due to bad weather I had a packing day at the DZ today and took my rig to get specific training on it. My instructor said that whilst it was possible to flat pack a relatively new ZP canopy with no cell tabs (I'd done it before at home, poorly) it's massively difficult so he taught me how to pro-pack, which was much easier.

This may be specific to my canopy, so I guess the lesson for new jumpers is when you get a new rig check with your instuctors before you waste an afternoon creating a pack job you wouldn't jump if the plane was going down.

For the full messy story check the link in my sig.
My skydiving - http://unstable-exits.blogspot.com/

Lots of people flat pack ZP canopies. However, the overwhelming majority of those are long-time jumpers who first learned to pack by flat packing, and who find that style of packing most comfortable and familiar to them. There's nothing inherently wrong with it as a packing technique.

However, for someone just learning to pack today, the propack (and its variations) is the way to go. There's a number of reasons, not least of which is that when you need help (and it's okay to need help - learning to pack can take a while and the best way to learn is to practice and ask questions as you go) there will be plenty of people around who can advise you on propacking. Not so likely with flat packing. On any given weekend at my dropzone, there will always be people propacking, it's only every so often that there will be flat packers around.

Don't consider practice to be "wasting time." Lots of early pack jobs are pure practice - even if you wouldn't jump them. The only way to get beyond the bad pack jobs is to keep practicing (ideally in a situation where you can get feedback as you go) so they turn into good pack jobs.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Don't consider practice to be "wasting time." Lots of early pack jobs are pure practice - even if you wouldn't jump them. The only way to get beyond the bad pack jobs is to keep practicing (ideally in a situation where you can get feedback as you go) so they turn into good pack jobs.

You're right, it wasn't wasted time. Now I think about it even practicing the wrong technique taught me about the canopy, and its the same method once its in the bag. It would have just been less frustrating and more educational if I'd asked first then propacked instead of flatpacking.
My skydiving - http://unstable-exits.blogspot.com/

I just got a used Spectre 170 canopy with about 100 jumps on it... still very crispy and slick as a greased pig.

I can do all normal "trash" packing. (my riger calls the reserve pack job a pro pack, and the main as a trash pack) But when i get to the z-folds and putting it into the bag..... well it explodes!

It's probably me, but i was wondering if i could do a psycho packing. A few of the guys around my jump site say that only people that can't learn to control the material do psycho packing.... And that it is also not as good because you roll your lines pushing them the wrong way....

Any advice on psycho packing for a newb? Should i just struggle with my slick canopy or try psycho packing? I really don't worry about line twists on my spectre because it opens so strait and takes so long, the only problem i am really concerned about is a line over.

Any other problems with psycho packing?
Cheers

Jon W