SansSuit

Slider Operation 101

Short version: All other things being equal, will a smaller slider make a canopy opening process slower or faster? Will a smaller slider have less aero drag and go faster down the lines? Or will the fact that it is smaller restrict the opening of the canopy thereby slowing the overall opening?

Longer version: I'm getting ready to start the process of thinking about beginning the research to decide whether or not I should consider getting a new canopy. Part of that process is asking myself what I want in a new canopy. I'm not downsizing. I love all of the characteristics of my current canopy EXCEPT that the slider hangs up for a couple seconds. IF I were to order the same exact canopy, should I order a smaller or larger slider?

In my openings, the problem is not how fast the slider comes down, but rather when the slider decides to start that journey.
Peace,
-Dawson.
http://www.SansSuit.com
The Society for the Advancement of Naked Skydiving

Is it something like this?
http://www.youtube.com/user/ronaldonogueira74#p/a/u/1/bSHPRf7g4Zo
You may try to get a same size used slider (or have a rigger to make one) and cut a small hole in the center. Progressively increase the hole and see if you can reach the perfect time for you. If it doesn’t work you still have the original one and will not lose resale value of your canopy. The same size should maintain its reefing characteristics.
The slider starts to go down when the drag pushing it up becomes smaller than the forces applied by the lines. You may change this balance point a little bit changing the drag
Good luck

Edited to add
Engineering Law #5: The most vital dimension on any plan drawing stands the most chance of being omitted

a slider has more to it than just size

a slider that has a higher profile will let the nose open up more and thus (in theory) will have the canopy open up "better and from the nose".

it can be made from ZP, F111, large mesh, marquisette mesh or hybrid with mesh panels (like the PD Katanas use for 135/150/170).

It can be domed, or it can have pockets added

like Ronaldo said it can also be holey with a varying size holes put into it

If you really like everything about your canopy except for the openings, I suggest some asking around of the maker and experienced users /riggers. And if you are daring enough some experimentation ! :)

Good luck !

I was jumping a Nitron with my wingsuit. The Nitron has a soft opening, but with the slower deployment speed, the opening was too long for my taste. My rigger put a reinforced 3x5" hole towards the nose side of the slider. The reduced pressure to hold the slider up and the air spilling through the hole allows more air to get to the nose of the canopy. That helped speed up the openings and the slider no longer just stops about 2' above the risers. Then tweeking how I dress the slider when I quarter it allows me to dial in if I want it a bit slower or faster. If I ever want to close the hole, the rectangular opening will be easy to patch.

YMMV.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity