DSE

Safety Day presentations

A couple of folks here have asked for the Safety Day PPT's that I use; here are two somewhat current versions.

Use/modify as you needed.

Camera Safety Day PPT https://drive.google.com/file/d/0BxhZWxju4_IlalY1Zl9fb3draTA/view?usp=sharing

Wingsuit Safety Day PPT https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1x1AeugqtOUHYAUgxTHpr2sFQt2SMTM4GOrgL83u9drk/edit?usp=sharing

DSE, I have a question and don't consider this a challenge to the rule. I want to know the considerations that led up the rule on the Caravan exit, "Butt on floor or Knees on floor".

I guess I am a bit surprised that outside poised exits are not allowed.

I jump from a Caravan sometimes and just want to know more about the decision process and factors.
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

Several tail strike incidents in Caravans were due to popping right out the door from a standing exit. Leaving from a sitting/kneeling position prevents this, saving the tail of the plane.
50 donations so far. Give it a try.

You know you want to spank it
Jump an Infinity

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
What Monkey said.
Between an extremely wide variance in wingsuit size, wingsuit pilot capabilities, disagreements in standardized training for exits, there is another variable; pilot skill and awareness. I've been in Caravans where there is very little speed and a tremendous prop blast, been in 'vans where there is a lot of speed, and been in 'vans where the pilot is in a gradual descent with low speed and little propwash. Some pilots really hate raising the tail and others don't. If they're not wingsuit-savvy, one way to assure that a big suit and a fast pilot won't collide, and that's through a butt-on-floor/knees on floor exit.

DSE

^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^ ^
What Monkey said.
Between an extremely wide variance in wingsuit size, wingsuit pilot capabilities, disagreements in standardized training for exits, there is another variable; pilot skill and awareness. I've been in Caravans where there is very little speed and a tremendous prop blast, been in 'vans where there is a lot of speed, and been in 'vans where the pilot is in a gradual descent with low speed and little propwash. Some pilots really hate raising the tail and others don't. If they're not wingsuit-savvy, one way to assure that a big suit and a fast pilot won't collide, and that's through a butt-on-floor/knees on floor exit.

Thanks for the details. If someone is planning a small flock jump and the Caravan is the only option, that creates a requirement to address (directly) the many things you mentioned. I know that doesn't always happen :(
Instructor quote, “What's weird is that you're older than my dad!”

It's truly not hard at all to do 4-5 way flocks from a 'van.
Or, just be sure everyone knows the aircraft, and the pilot knows his stuff.
Keep in mind, my DZ is a destination DZ, so aside from the core group that knows the skinny, there are always visitors that don't. We have to have policies for the weakest link, not the strongest.

DSE

It's truly not hard at all to do 4-5 way flocks from a 'van.
Or, just be sure everyone knows the aircraft, and the pilot knows his stuff.
Keep in mind, my DZ is a destination DZ, so aside from the core group that knows the skinny, there are always visitors that don't. We have to have policies for the weakest link, not the strongest.

I've jumped WS at Elsinore and can confirm that Spot gives a thorough briefing.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.