nikon

need info on 1996 Taurus

I just bought a 1996 Taurus and it is driving me insane. The "Service Engine Soon" light keeps coming on. It seems to be every time I gas up! I have taken it to the garage 3 times in the last 2 weeks and he finally change the valve or something like that. But then the next day it came on again! Does anyone own a taurus and has anything like this happened to you! What was the problem! need answers....PLEASE!

I have known many people with Ford Tauruses and Mercury Sables from the 90s and they ALL had the Check Engine Light on. Its always for an incredibly stupid reason and it would cost $500 or so to get it to turn off and not make your car any better, so no one does it.

What is the light doing? Flashing or steady? If its flashing it should be doing it in a certian pattern. Like 3 flash, pause 2 flash, or 4 flashs steady... If its on steady thats other issues. What is the light doing?
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

On some vehicles the check engine light may come on because the gas cap is secured properly.

So you are saying, he should secure it improperly?

Like I said, it is a Ford.

Ford, Mercury, Lincoln, Jag, what's the difference?

>:(
It's your life, live it!
RB#684 "Corcho", ASK#60, Muff#3520, NCB#398, NHDZ#4, C-33989, DG#1

Its probally an O2 sensor. They are known for going out all the time. Cost is about 200-600 depending on model engine and if one or two of them are blown. If you live in an emmissions state you'll eventually need to replace them. If not have a shop look at the computer error codes and decide from there if you want to fix it if it is the O2 sensors.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Its probally an O2 sensor.

Thanks! I had a thought that it might be something like that because my old car need the same thing. I have an apt on monday so I will see what my mechanic thinks!

Cost is about 200-600 depending on model engine and if one or two of them are blown.

The dealer is going to be paying for it since I only got it the day after labour day (sept 2/03)

Mine has 178,000 miles. Had the light twice now. Once was a cheap fix (don't recall what it was), the other was due to the catalytic converter going tango uniform at around 150,000. That one was expensive.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

OMG, I don't want any ya around my car...eva!

That CE Light is just reporting to you, the driver/owner that one of your many sensors in the car is reading wrong for whatever reason. Could be the unit is bad, or could be telling you of adverse conditions to come.

For example, if you find out it was your O2 sensor (could be many, don't assume this is it), your sensor could be shorting, or your sensor is telling you that the reading is off the charts.

Which sensor?
Ok, either go to the garage, and get pay. Or grab yourself a Chiltons or Hayes manual and a paper clip. Unbend the paperclip until you have a happy "U" shape. Locate the computer plug in and rought each end of the paper clip into the plugs. At this time (igition turned on) your CE Light will start a series of blinking. This isn't random, it's actually telling you "in code" which sensor is broke dick.

Cool Huh. Once the sensor is isolated, go to it in the engine, if the wires looked striped or broken, probably a short, you'd be safe to replace the wires or the unit. If it looks flawless, it might be reading a future problem.

And just so you know, Taurses are known for CE Lights early on in thier career.

Anyone that mocks Ford for being a Ford doesn't know dick about cars past 1982.

If you want to turn off the light without doing anything a temporary fix is to disconnect your negative lead on your battery for a few minutes. This will reset your computer, but the light will come back in hours or days.

Hope dis helped,

J.Neas