advice on buying a new PC needed please!

man oh MAN it's hard to buy one of these things if you haven't been following technological advances!

I need some advice - preferably from any UK based peoples - on what i should look at - price and a good after sales support are the prime factors here.

I don't need anything super fancy, it will be for home use only, nothing more intensive graphically than playing a few games, mainly for MS Office use and browsing the web - the usual home usage stuff.

I was looking at the Dell Dimension series, which seem pretty decent, but have had mixed reports about their after sales support. I want something with 512mb RAM, an 80gb hard drive and that's about it (a TFT monitor would be nice to save some space, but not essential). I have about £700 ($1000) (+ or - £100) to spend, which will have to include tax and delivery etc. It's budget end basically.

Any and all advice would be much appreciated!

Thanks all.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Get a Mac.. they work! lol
I don't have one but i want one.. and being a skydiver their good for editing that jump footage... B|

Ageed, Buy a Mac-in-trash. I'm the very happy owner of a 15" PB. I converted (aka seen the light) in Feburary and haven't looked back.

Go ahead, buy one I promise you, it is a good thing (tm)

Can I get an Amen!?:):):)

hi - i have a mac (15" Powerbook) which i use for video editing at work (and the "odd" bit of skydiving editing), but i want to keep work and home stuff separate. Also for some reason, broadband suppliers here dont seem too well equipped to handle mac users - dont know why.

"Skydiving is a door"
Happythoughts

Macs suck =P hehe, goodluck finding the software that you want to run on it. Its good for video editing but thats about it. I have owned both a mac and a PC and I choose a PC because it can do so much more than a mac can. OSX10 isn't too bad, however if you wanted to run unix why not just run linux? anyways thats my take on the whole deal, macs are expensive anyways.

Peace

Sean

Sean
Sean In Thailand

If you're gonna go with Dell, I'd look at the Optiplexes especially the GX 260/270.

Dell has 2 desktop lines, the Dimension and the Optiplex. The difference is that the Optiplex is more stable and won't change every 30-45 days whereas the Dimension can have a different peripheral for each day of the week.

Point is, would you rather get something that is know n to work and tech support is familiar with or something that might be more cutting edge and no one knows the what's or hows

I Think they were selling the GX260 for about $500 because they just changed to the 270

Oh, and if you get an FPD, get the 18" instead of the 17, it's cheaper and better quality
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1

OSX10 isn't too bad, however if you wanted to run unix why not just run linux?

I thought the same thing when I upgraded my computer - but you don't have much choice in an 'out of box' perfectly working set up. I swear my husband spends more time configuring the danm thing than using it - thusly causing my internet connection sharing to go down constantly.

My recommendation for a good 'out of box', don't-have-to-do-anything-but-plug-it-in is a gateway or dell - both perfectly good machines. No recommendations on model number or any of that (never even looked at their machines actually), but take a look at what they offer.

I've heard gateway has really good customer service.

Good luck!

Jennifer
Arianna Frances

My recommendation for a good 'out of box', don't-have-to-do-anything-but-plug-it-in is a gateway or dell - both perfectly good machines.

I would recommend Dell over Gateway. Gateway is really struggling financially, and may not last in the home PC market. They are transitioning into other things, because Dell is just killing them.

Dell has great website support for drivers, configs and such. Their live tech support is okay, but honestly, I've rarely needed them. At work, we order Dell computers with the minimum warranty, because the odds are that if it works out of the box, it will work for years. Just don't screw the system up yourself. Keep your anti-virus and MS pathes up to date, and you'll be good to go.

I Think they were selling the GX260 for about $500 because they just changed to the 270

GX260 = dead sexy... especially with a 18" LCD ... hmmmmm....
I like the fact that the media bay devices are the same ones used in their laptops too.
it's like incest - you're substituting convenience for quality

OOOHhhh... the ultra small ones? We (well my former employer and ME) had one of those, but we were really concerned about them being able to fit into a backpack and walk away....

So call me geek... just by chance today, I stopped at one of those salvation army stores while I was out getting Milk (OOO shiny object) and was browsing at the "antique" computer stuff. As I was walking away, this black box that looked like an old playstation or something with the cover ripped off caught my eye. I picked it up and read the stickers " AP-2000" and Agere systems... $5 for an enterprise class wireless access point that is still selling for $400 :) And the best part is that it's upgradeable to "g" and 5 ghz for about $100

Anybody wanna buy an Orinoco residential gateway, seems I have an extra now? LOL
I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. I promise not to TP Davis under canopy.. eat sushi, get smoochieTTK#1