alanab

bone marrow

Try these areas...

http://www.bmdw.org

and

http://www.marrow.org

I hope the prognosis is okay. If I remember correctly, testing is not a huge deal, but actually donating is quite uncomfortable...I could be wrong.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

You can get a ton of information from www.marrow.org - the website for the national marrow program.

To get on the registry you have to donate a couple of tubes of blood and then keep your contact info up to date. I've been on the registry for maybe 10 years now and have only been asked once about donating marrow. I went to the clinic where they took maybe 6 or 8 tubes of blood to do DNA testing, blood type, look for diseases and stuff. Never had to donate, though, because someone else in the country was a better genetic match.

I always encourage people to join, but the best donors are usually family. Good luck to you and your friend!
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

Please consider donating to the marrow registry. I've been on for over ten years. Never been called, but you never know.

If you're selected, you're transported to a collection center where your marrow is extracted. Not a fun process, but you'll make more, and you can literally give somebody a new lease on life. It's far more personal than donating blood, although it's kept anonymous.

My former supervisor came down with the worst form of leukemia earlier this year and came close to biting the big one on a couple of occasions.

He got lucky when the marrow registry turned up THREE matches. He underwent chemo and the marrow replacement - he's now got a brand-new immune system and A DIFFERENT BLOOD TYPE!

He's out of the hospital and doing very well.

Please donate to the Marrow Registry. It can make a world of difference.
"The mouse does not know life until it is in the mouth of the cat."

He underwent chemo and the marrow replacement - he's now got a brand-new immune system and A DIFFERENT BLOOD TYPE!

See, that's why I'm in med school...the human body rocks!!!!
Take me, I am the drug; take me, I am hallucinogenic.
-Salvador Dali

I've been on the list for about six years now...

a guy who was in my class in college got leukemia. I didn't know him well, but I gave blood to the registry when everyone else did. everyone tried for months to find a match, and we couldn't... he died. However, something like 4000 more people ended up on the registry because of him, so hopefully some other lives can be saved.

I can't donate blood (hepatitis as a child), but I've been assured by the bone marrow registry I can donate marrow. It's mega-easy to donate.

There are so many factors to match that it's way worth it to register; you'll probably never be called. If you are, you gave them something no one else could, at a very small cost to yourself.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)