Frankyspanky

Lou, Why has discussion on the Mirage Argus ban reversal been blocked...

I would prefer not to discuss the politics behind you reason, more so I would like to discuss the reasoning behind the reversal of the decision to ban them, the reason for doing so and the amount of time it took to make such a decision.

I know people that have been forced to purchase another brand of AAD while they have waited for clarification on this matter.

It was only a short period of time from when the incident occurred, to when the foreign object was discovered. Though this was the reasoning behind lifting the ban, the period of time it took to lift it was far too long.

Meanwhile the other AAD companies have enjoyed a spike in sales, other companies are now likely to follow suit...

I guess the cheap Argus' will be a good investment after all!
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

It was only a short period of time from when the incident occurred, to when the foreign object was discovered. Though this was the reasoning behind lifting the ban, the period of time it took to lift it was far too long.

Aviacom has not completed its investigation into the "foreign object." We still do not have photos of the ball to show the scarring or deformation which one would expect if it interfered with the cutter, and Aviacom has not said anything about being able to reproduce this failure mode. We might know there was a foreign object present, but we do not know if it was involved in the failure or if its presence was just an unfortunate coincidence.

Additionally, this incident was just one of a series of incidents in which cutter problems were suspected. Jeff Johnston wrote about this series in an article posted on the PIA website.

Mark

Understood, but why are the discussions locked, this is a discussion forum after all.

The foreign object was obviously enough for MirageSys to reverse their ban.

Some require more information than others, some are reluctant to acknowledge that a steel ball in a circular cutter may interfere, many can easily understand.

If you require further inspection of the ball and photos of the damaged caused by it, that tells me you believe that there is a chance that the investigator was not being honest when he informed us of his discovery?
Back a hundred years ago, especially around Woodrow Wilson, what happened in this country is we took freedom and we chopped it into pieces.
Ron Paul

I had not noticed that our discussion is locked, but perhaps you are more perceptive than I am.

A steel ball in that cutter may have interfered with its performance, sure. But we don't know. Would you still say the ball caused the malfunction if it were found to be undamaged? The investigator did not say one way or the other. That goes to the investigator's competency, not his honesty.

Mark

Frank,
Zero politics involved on my part, it's about ease of finding relevant information. That information was added to the Argus ban thread in the first post and in my last post informing of the reversal. The "Argus Ban" thread is locked because it is to be a thread where people can go to see what the status of their rig is without having to wade through tons of shit slinging posts to find a tid bit of information. Having one post with relevant information in it is far more valuable than multiple posts with tons of noise vs signal.

If you wish to discuss the "whys" of the Mirage ban reversal then create a thread for it and discuss. The Argus ban thread is locked as it is to be a sole source informational thread on current Ban/reversal of the Argus by manufacturers only.
"It's just skydiving..additional drama is not required"
Some people dream about flying, I live my dream
SKYMONKEY PUBLISHING

create a thread for it and discuss.

I'm confused - isn't that exactly what he did when he created the thread: "Mirage issues SB rescission on Argus AAD's"?

I can understand you adding the information to the original Argus thread that was locked so the information is available in one spot, but locking the new thread and then telling him to create a new thread doesn't make sense. I can appreciate that you are trying to prevent Argus discussion threads popping up like mushrooms (good luck with that), but the process you suggest creates more Argus threads.

Was it the title of the thread you didn't like? Was there an open thread he could have posted it to?
For the same reason I jump off a perfectly good diving board.

I asked him to add that to the Argus Ban list thread, as I intended on that thread being a 'focal point' and not have a million threads running around.

If you wanted to discuss the SB, then do so, but I don't want my thread cluttered (as you can see happened anyways before the lock) with a bunch of discussion... I just wanted the facts.

If you want to blame someone for locking it or whatever, blame me.
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

I suppose if there was a request to unlock the thread about just the Mirage SB, the mods would likely unlock it to allow the discussion to take place there, I just didn't want it going on in my 'Argus ban list' thread
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Err,

I understand that the 'argus ban list' that is a sticky is locked, but why the other thread?

Because it is locked It will now slip down the chart.

Then we start 'yet another' thread on the subject so can you explain why that thread was locked please.

If people are posting irrelevant things and flaming each other, warn them, remove the posts and allow the skydiving community to discuss the subject.

There is no benefit in stopping the conversation. Except if the move (by mirage) goes against your stated position when the PIA letter was published.

So for the sake of the community, please unlock the 'Mirage issues SB rescission on Argus AAD's' thread.
Ron Paul