e.a.hernandez

Canopy material and Turbulence

I know this doesn't have anything to do with material turbulence, but a side note is that airlocked canopies have somewhat of an advantage in turbulent winds

ok....done carry on ;)

For info regarding lift ticket prices all around the world check out
http://www.jumpticketprices.com/dropzones.asp

Interesting. So, is there such a thing as the turbulent air flow hitting the canopy hard enough to collapse it (I mean depresurize it) and make it stall? Or is it that most stalls in turbulence are caused when the boundary layer gets blown off at the top of the wing (in which case then I guess material would not make much of a difference)?

A microburst is turbulent air, and they knock airplanes down.
So yes, but during jumpable conditions i dont know, could happen.

Try fly behing a friends canopy and your canopy might shake quite alot.

I guess it all depends on when you consider it jumpable ;);)

There is video of a swooper following another guy's approach and ended up catching the turbulence, and the canopy collapsed. (IIRC it resulted in a cypres fire.)
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

Yup, that's it!

Moral of the story: If you're going to follow someone and TRY to get in their wake... do it well above your decision altitude. :P
"I may be a dirty pirate hooker...but I'm not about to go stand on the corner." iluvtofly
DPH -7, TDS 578, Muff 5153, SCR 14890
I'm an asshole, and I approve this message

There is video of a swooper following another guy's approach and ended up catching the turbulence, and the canopy collapsed. (IIRC it resulted in a cypres fire.)

Thank you for saying thaf.
I just thought about i should have written try flying behind someone elses canopy at safe altitude.
I have had a few of those real shakers beeing behind other parachutes, its fun when you are used to them but scary in the begining.

Thanks for the video, never seen that one

The design and the trim of the airfoil is the most important for colapse and turbulence resistence
So, the center pressure (CP) of the airfoil, the camber, inlets position and the trim is very important for colapse and turbulence resistence.
We know that when we want more airfoil performance (speed and flare power) we lost some safety
So, for HP canopys the CP is put more rear instead of the normal 25% of airfoil and the camber is more increased for more lift coef
It make the canopy more performant but less safe in turbulence.

roq