Jonathan-rasch

First gear

hi
i just finished my aff. it was one of the gratest experiences in my life and i am sure that i will continue this sport.i want to buy my own gear as soon as posible.i just dont know which gear would be good for me.i want a gear which is good for inexperienced skydivers but is still good once i gained more experience. the main criteria should be that it is very reliable. i also wanted to ask what kind of altimeter is the best...analog or digital ?

please help me

(sry for my bad english...english isnt my first language)

use rental gear for another 50 jumps or so. it will give you time to get into the right size canopy that you want for your first few hundred jumps. it is dumb to buy a canopy and put 30 or 40 jumps on it and be ready for a smaller one.

also, this will give you time to research and find out what YOU think will be good gear. you are the one stuck with it once you buy it, so make sure it's what you want. check with an instructor always though.

good luck and blue skies
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

use rental gear for another 50 jumps or so. it will give you time to get into the right size canopy that you want need for your first few hundred jumps.

Fixed it for you (FIFY).

it is dumb to buy a canopy and put 30 or 40 jumps on it and be ready for a smaller one.

I'm not sure that 3040 jumps is enough to determine if you are ready fora smaller one. You mileage may vary (YMMV)

you are the one stuck with it once you buy it,

Nobody gets "stuck". Resale is the norm.

so make sure it's what you want need .

Again.

To the OP:

check with an instructor always though.

Always good advice.

When you buy gear and it comes to canopies, first decide what size canopy you NEED to fit your skill level at the time of purchase. Buy a reserve of similar size. Then buy the rig to fit both of those parachutes.

The rig typically can hold 3 different sixes of parachutes. You'll want to get the rig that fits your parachute either on the middle size or the largest size to enable you to downsize, if needed, without having to buy a different rig.

Now, go talk to your instructors and a good rigger.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

In Reply To
it is dumb to buy a canopy and put 30 or 40 jumps on it and be ready for a smaller one.
I'm not sure that 3040 jumps is enough to determine if you are ready fora smaller one. You mileage may vary (YMMV)

this guy is a student. he needs a canopy for a student right now, but in 30 or 40 jumps he will probably NEED one around 1:1 (since he wont be a student). it doesn't follow logic to buy a student canopy (which will need a student rig to go in), when he can wait 30 or 40 jumps and get the right size to last him a bit.

i am not encouraging radical dowsizing in any way.
"Never grow a wishbone, where your backbone ought to be."

this guy is a student.

Correctomundo, Mitch....the key point here.

he needs a canopy for a student right now, but in 30 or 40 jumps he will probably NEED one around 1:1 (since he wont be a student).

How do you know that? What is it about 30-40 jumps that makes it a magic number? It doesn't follow that 30-40 jumps will make anyone "ready" for anything. What is it about 1:1 that makes it a magic number? You don't know the guy's skill level and 1:1 may not be right for him even after that magic 30-40 jump threshold.

On top of that, jump numbers are not a solid measure of skill level at any level. They are good for a generalization, yes, however skill level is the foundation on which we build, not jump numbers. You may have heard the term, "100-jump Wonder" before. You may know 100-jumpers who may become future champions and you may know 100-jumpers who are on the DGIT list. What's the difference?...skill level. I personally would add "listening and learning ability" to that decision tree.

it doesn't follow logic to buy a student canopy (which will need a student rig to go in), when he can wait 30 or 40 jumps and get the right size to last him a bit.

Well, Mitch, there's logic and there's logic. Your logic may differ. Sometimes gaining more knowledge and experience will change the foundation for one's logic and lead to different conclusions. One just needs to gain that knowledge and experience to see that.

Nobody said "student canopy". Size doesn't make anything a "student canopy", Mitch. And what makes any rig a "student rig"? Nothing mire than a rig that a student is wearing.
Again, jump numbers are not the deciding factor in choosing a rig. Skill level is the deciding factor. What is the "right" size for him? The people that taught him and see him fly every day are the best judges of that at this point for him. Hence, the recommendation to talk to his instructors and rigger.

i am not encouraging radical dowsizing in any way.

That's a good thing. Always keep in mind your audience and what they may need, not what they may want.
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239