nightjumps

Skydiving/Airborne Ring Design

All,

The ad will be withdrawn as "Skydiver Wings" and depending on the interest of those who are Airborne qualified who wish to purchase the ring may continue as the "Classic Airborne" ring. I own one of the sterling silver Master Blasters and can tell you they are finely crafted rings.

In the meantime, perhaps the designer can approach the USPA about using their wings as a "Skydiver Wings" ring or if the UPSA for copyright reasons decides against it, design his own.

There are some costs associated with creating the mold, advertising, etc.

The poll will help to know if the skydiving community has a sincere interest in purchasing its own "Wing Ring" which can be worn proudly as a symbol of excellence.

This is information-gathering. Hopefully, with enough support and if it goes into production, perhaps the manufacturer will consider a banner ad on Dropzone.com down the road.

Well since I don't think I would even get one of the USPA rings, I didn't vote. I'm kind of into the "girly" rings. But I wanted to post to bump this up for those that have missed what Keith was doing.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

The USPA wings ring is a good idea. I'd suggest different types to mirror the current wings you have. Gold, diamond, ruby...etc...etc...Just being able to send back the ring to have it modified to fit your current 'wing standing' for minimal cost.

Awesome feedback, Jeremy. I sent the manufacturer the thread to observe and like your suggestion.

All,

The poll will help to know if the skydiving community has a sincere interest in purchasing its own "Wing Ring" which can be worn proudly as a symbol of excellence.

The ring isn't a symbol of anything except that you waste money on baubles.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

See, everyone. Voicing your opinions and concern, without attack and with clarity and purpose, can really make a difference in how things are done. Huge kudos to you, Keith. I suspect I've just found my next "crush" - a man who can get things done! How very rare is that? :PB| (actually, I just like your arms :$). I didn't even send my email, altho that was on my things to do list tonight. Now I can go have coffee with Racenic without remorse!

If I ever got any money, I'd likely get the sterling ring...so that's how I voted.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Keep us posted as to what they say.

Edit to add: Michele, just to let you know, Keith's picture isn't even close to how nice he looks in real life.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Just received an email and got off the phone with the USPA.

They are very receptive to the ring idea and are going to discuss it amongst the board after the first of the year. In the meantime, they will contact the ring manufacturer to start the information-gathering process.

If you have an interest in a USPA wing ring, you may wish to continue voting.

I wouldn't buy one. Partly because I don't wear jewelry like the pin necklace or my college class ring. I don't put identifiers on myself or on my car or lunchbox. I haven't even put in for the very few skydive patches and whatnot, I definitely wouldn't fork up for a ring. But there are a lot of people who I think would want a ring. I personally think it's pointless, it's not like a college diploma came with it or you have to have been in a service branch where you actually did something.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

Michele, just to let you know, Keith's picture isn't even close to how nice he looks in real life.

Ohhhhhhhhhhh, well then! :$

Errr, ah, well.....gee, lookit the time. Gotta run! ;)

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

hee, hee ... I have nothing to really say for or against the ring ... I'm a rigger & don't wear jewelery that often but please indulge me for just a moment ... FlyAngel2, if the avatar of NightJumps doesn't do him any justice I just have to say I'd probably cream my pants then if I ever had the pleasure of seeing him in person. OK, OK, I'm taking my dirty mind over to a more approriate thread to voice is this opinion. ;)

NightJumps is a hottie ... NightJumps is a hottie!

Can't we all just get along. I'm Airborne and a ring would be GREAT. Gold is always good. Thanks for the input and keep us informed. Hope everyone has a freedom filled Holiday Season.

HUH? :S I wasn't busting anyone's chops ... quite the opposite in fact ... reread my post a little slower this time. :P

I think he's saying that this is just a skydiver ring, not an Airborne ring.

I think a ring like this detracts from the concept of why a ring is worn in the first place. For an Airborne ring you earn something, for a commemorative skydive ring all you have to do is jump long enough and then send in your money. Skydiving is a hobby, we're not curing cancer or taking the beach-head. It just shouldn't be a status symbol or proof of accomplishment. "I have ring, therefore I am."

On the other hand jewelry is fun and expressive. I've seen some really interesting skydive jewelry. I think a ring could be very interesting and self expressive piece. I'm just wouldn't get one through USPA. Good grief, has anyone ever seen a design by committee? Come and look at my VMI class ring, it's an overworked disaster.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

for a commemorative skydive ring all you have to do is jump long enough and then send in your money.

I think all you have to do is send the money. It's just a piece of jewelry, jumping not required.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Yeah another Hottie post to the thread ;)

Patrick, I think most people agree with Keith, saying that people like you and him have the right to wear said ring. I won't wear said ring, since I didn't earn the wings.

You too have a wonderful holiday. Don't forget to spoil that new girlfriend of yours ;) See ya in a few months.

I think the ring is kinda like a karate black belt... anyone can go into a shop, buy one, and put it on. But, symbols, whether they're wings or black belts, have more meaning to the people who actually earned them, and having others wearing items that imply they have earned the honor when in fact they have not kind of cheapens the symbolism, I think.