Airviking

Old reserves

Well since there is a thread started on old reserves, I will use this instead of starting a new one for my question. My reserve is a 96 Raven III and has 4 rides on it (not by me). As long as it is repacked every 180 days, how long would you say I should continue to jump with it in my container? Or should I start to eventually look in to getting a newer reserve?

Any answer would depend on how much you weigh out the door. The Raven III is 249 sq. ft. and it has a max suspended weight of only 229 lbs. See what your rigger has to say about it. It could go either way depending on if I am drinking Gray Goose or some luke warm cougar piss. ;)

Sparky

Might be a better idea to bring a bottle BEFORE the save? :ph34r:;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Might be a better idea to bring a bottle BEFORE the save?

That’s almost a dead tradition. The last couple of saves I had didn’t get so much as a thank you. One guy came up handed me his shit and said “I’ll pick it up Saturday” and ran off to catch a load. On Saturday he called demanded to know where his rig was. I drove down to the DZ and handed to him the same way I got it. He got all piss and asked why I hadn’t packed it. I told him he didn’t say anything about packing it. By now he is starting to turn blue and slobber. He says “what do I do now”. I told him it would be a good idea to go find a new rigger.:o

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The last couple of saves I had didn’t get so much as a thank you. One guy came up handed me his shit and said “I’ll pick it up Saturday” and ran off to catch a load. On Saturday he called demanded to know where his rig was. I drove down to the DZ and handed to him the same way I got it. He got all piss and asked why I hadn’t packed it. I told him he didn’t say anything about packing it. By now he is starting to turn blue and slobber. He says “what do I do now”. I told him it would be a good idea to go find a new rigger.:o

If you buy a bottle of milk, do you call the farmer and say thank you if it wasn't sour?

The worker that installed the airbag after a crash?

Why should reserve packing be special?

I write this assuming you do charge for your services.

Do you tip at the car wash?

Do you tip your waiter after a good meal?

Do you say thank you when someone helps you out at the auto store?

What does a bottle of milk have to do with skydiving/

You either miss the point of the tradition or just choose to ignore it. As for not packing his reserve again I can live without having to deal with one more member of the “entitlement generation”. He fucked up and jumps my shit, I don’t think so.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

The last couple of saves I had didn’t get so much as a thank you. One guy came up handed me his shit and said “I’ll pick it up Saturday” and ran off to catch a load. On Saturday he called demanded to know where his rig was. I drove down to the DZ and handed to him the same way I got it. He got all piss and asked why I hadn’t packed it. I told him he didn’t say anything about packing it. By now he is starting to turn blue and slobber. He says “what do I do now”. I told him it would be a good idea to go find a new rigger.:o

If you buy a bottle of milk, do you call the farmer and say thank you if it wasn't sour?

What do you pay for a repack?

Do you think that represents a fair hourly wage for the work?

It might be different if riggers were rolling in cash from their work.

I don't know any that are. Do you?

If the tradition of "rewarding" a rigger doesn't exist in Sweden, that's fine; but don't criticize the tradition if it exists elsewhere.

The tradition does exist in North America. The rigger is packing your last chance to see the sun rise tomorrow. Personally, I'd give him a piece of my kidney if he needed it. But that's me.

Personally, I'd give him a piece of my kidney if he needed it. But that's me.

Andy, I will have to keep you in mind since I have only one kidney left.

Sparky

:D:D I was gonna say...too many bad packers, and you may NEED a lobe from someone! ;)

What do you pay for a repack?

Do you think that represents a fair hourly wage for the work?

One of my regular riggers pack and inspect my gear in about an hour. For that he gets payed more than I make in an hour at my regular job, which I studied at the university for at full time for four years to get qualified for. Since then I've worked and improved my skills for about the same time as he has. My field is well payed and my salary is among the higher in the field. If he pays taxes, I think he would get slightly less than me after taxes. So yes, I think he's payed a fair amount. On the other hand he often does small repairs/works really cheap or even for free and refuse to accept payment.

It might be different if riggers were rolling in cash from their work.

I don't know any that are. Do you?

I only know of three riggers that work full time, one of them seem to be doing ok, the other two are his employees.

On the other hand, I don't see many auto mechanics roll in cash and they probably don't even get a thank you call every time someone's breaks saved their life.

I did tip my riggers for the two first saves, but not any longer. I do say thank you after every time he has packed it though and I do ask if/when he has time for it when dropping off gear.

But what are we really talking about? If we count high, you would get one bottle for around 500 pack jobs. What about raising the price of the pack job with 1/500th of the price of the expected bottle and then complain if the customer doesn't say thank you when picking up the gear instead?

I've never met a rigger the 'expected' a bottle of his/her favorite for a save, it's merely a gesture of appreciation.

It's old school tradition, kinda like packing your main or knowing how to spot...guess a lotta traditions are falling.

Hardest bottle I ever bought was for Dave Verner, back in the 70's when I was a broke college student.

Damn thing & the repack, cost me a weeks food budget...but starvin' for that week sure taught me one thing.

PACK BETTER! :ph34r: