Frodo

Mountain bike: wheel sizes etc.

Haven't posted here in quite a while... here's the question: I'm getting a bike. I'm 6'2", and a couple of people told me that a bike with 24" wheels will be too small for me. What do you guys n girls think? Should I get 24" or 26"? 26 looks a little too big and unmaneuverable to me, but I dunno really.

I'm getting one with dual suspension - finally. But it's gonna be cheap and therefore sort of crappy, but oh well, whatever.

(Sure I really would like a bike with a light aluminium frame, disc brakes (yeah right with ABS :)), and so on, but those start at like $400-500, which is way over my limit right now.)

And which qualities of a mtb do you consider most important?

Happy Thanksgiving y'all, and of course happy shopping tomorrow ;)

P.S. Anyone with knowledge of good trails in central Texas area?

26"x1.95 would probably be perfect, since 24" wheels are kid's sizes (or some half-ass bike like BMX).

What sort of riding are you planning on doing?

Take a look at Specialized. When I was a hard-core rider, Specialized was basically all I would ride. I had tricked out A1-FS Rockhopper, with LX up front and XTR in the rear. Man, that was sweet.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Im in Austin, anything within 1-1.5 hours drive (or even a bit more) is fine.

Ill be riding the trails in the woods and the like, most of the time.

About a year ago I was trying some basic tricks with my super-crappy bike (it only had front suspension, if that's the correct way to say it). I couldn't even get close to figuring out the bunny hops - how do you make the bike jump off the ground without your feet strapped to the pedals?!

heya Frodo:

While I'm not the hardcore rockhopper type it sounds like you might not be either. I ride an old Marin Lite with neon green forks that would match AggieDave's skyride - even guys I ride with who are into the 'spensive shiite marvel at "how good" the Old School Ride feels - for a while.

Suspension costs weight, $'s, and control. No, you can't pound down a mountain trail on a hardtail - but if you're not gonna do it then why bother with the equipment. Dad's Specialized with Rockshox up front is less pounding on the wrists but it feels all weird and mushy to me - kinda like going back to a Manta. I sorta feel seasick on a full suspension bike on the flats -our natural prairie terrain.

Before you decide on a 'cheap' full suspension bike, why not go and look at higher end rigid frame models - or even components for your current model. You might find that the tradeoff of heavy weight + more (read: cheaper quality) components is larger than you thought. A light bike will be easier to handle on the trails and can be almost as fast as a road bike with the right tires. Try some out even if you don't seriously intend to buy them. Think ...canopy demo...:)
Dave

Life is very short and there's no time for fussing and fighting my friend (Lennon/McCartney)

Austin has some good rides, your best bet for the trail heads around there is to get a guide at a bike shop (don't worry, just ask, they'll have them).

If you're gonna ride trails, I'd recomend getting atleast toe clips (not SPDs, but the plastic things w/ the straps...although I highly recommend SPDs). It'll help you a LOT with handling on the trail, espeically technical single track.

As for the bunny hop, you need to know how to do this and do this well. Lean forward, weighting the front end of the bike more then the rear. Press down with your legs and arms "compressing" the tires/bike. Launch up and forward, pulling the handle bars up and forward. I know that sounds complicated, try some and you'll firgure it out.

Oh, that's not a "trick" its a basic trail skill. You might want to get a basic MTB book of some sort that explains a lot of skills on how to cross streams, how to climb over logs, how to climb properly and how to properly decend difficult sections (and keep from going over the bards). The skills will only help you and make things a lot more fun (and keep you safer from injury).

Oh, if you get the toe clips, practice pulling your feet out of them, its not as hard as SPDs, but it'll need a little practice. I've got a funny story about me sliding down an embankment into Lake Grapvine (near Dallas) due to me not being able to get out of my SPDs quick enough.

As for other trails. There are a couple in the SA area that are ok. Waco has a decent trail, not hard, super easy trail, so its actually kinda boring, requires no skill to ride it. College Station (Lake Bryan) has a sweet trail (and its only about 10 minutes from the DZ). Like I said, though, there are multipul good trails around the Austin area, get a trail map and explore.

If you want to venture up to Dallas some time, there are some great trails up there. The Glen Rose system kicks ass, North Shore on Lake Grapvine kicks ass, there's some up on Lake Texoma that are really hard single track (VERY technical) as well. Those are fun, but you NEED suspension, a low granny and SPDs to do a couple of those trails.

I'd definitely go with 26" wheels, especially if you plan on doing any street riding. As for trails in Austin, there are many, but a couple stand out from the rest:

1. Barton Creek Greenbelt
you can get there either from Zilker park, or from several other entrances in southwest Austin. This is the grandaddy of Austin bike trails. There is something here for all levels, and the scenery is awesome. If there's water in the creek, it's also a pretty cool place to swim in the spring and summer. There are several excellent swimming holes on the creek. This is also a pedestrian trail, so you need to watch out for hikers constantly. There's also a spot along a cliff where people repel.

2. Emma Long (city) Park
this is off of 2222, in west austin. This place is more geared to experienced mountain bikers; it is quite technical throughout. It is also far more remote than the greenbelt - even on weekends there aren't many people out here. Don't come here alone!

There is a book on Austin bike trails available at the major bike shops, which contain maps to the trails as well. Happy biking!

Lighter is better. A light weight bike is easier to manipulat over and around obstacles. 26" wheels are fine. 24" may be easier to manuever but you get more rolling resistance which will slow you down. You're already doing well with the suspension. It makes life on the trail much easier. Test ride it if you can. See how well the shifters work. Sticky shifters will suck the fun out of an otherwise awesome ride. Also, go to a bike shop and have them tell you the size you need. My first bike was a size too big. When I got one the correct size I found it much easier to ride. Have fun and don't break any bones :)

Size is easy to determine.

Stand over the top tube, you should about 4" of clearance (6" tops) between it and your crotch (not the crotch of your pants, but your actual crotch).

For guys like me, lighter isn't always better. I went with some ultra-light CC wheels and spokes. They lasted 1, count them 1 ride. Big guys need heavier gear, sucks, but the light stuff breaks too easily when you weigh 200+lbs.

Hey Frodo
at 6'2 you're probably not too light, so I would say get 26" wheels and try for ones that has 32 spokes laced 3-cross.
36 spokes are good too, but not that much stronger unless they're laced 4 cross and then it's a bit heavier...
try and avoid 28 spoke radial laced wheels unless you're real light (under like 150lbs) or real light on your bike... B|

have fun, man!
and watch out for those chainring tattoos - I eventually got a permanent one :|

soon to be gone

OK, here's a follow-up: I bought a really cheap and heavy steel-frame full-suspension bike, rode it on a trail once (it was in Guadalupe River state park), and I'm about to return it to the store, because I can now afford to buy a decent one. I shopped around, and found a store with good bikes for $250-400. They are very light, aluminium frame, 24 speeds, with "rapid-fire" shifters, easy-release wheels, suspension has good travel and adjustable stiffness. The bikes (about 3-4 models that seem worth buying) feel really good overall.

Only problem: they're all with 19 inch frames, and several guys at the store said someone of my size needs a 22 inch. I don't see a problem here, but thought maybe some of you experienced fellas might explain how important this is, and whether it should hold me from buying one of these bikes.
Oh and they also say that I can only find a really worthy full-suspension bike for my size for $1000-1500 or more, but I don't have that much.

Frame size is very important.

Also, screw full-suspension, too heavy for 95% of the trails in Texas. Just get a good rigid with a good front fork (read: Judy) and go with that. If you really really want, get a sissy-stick (seatpost shock), but stay away from the full-suspension. Unless you really want to blast some hard-core downhill (not available in Texas) or do some hard-core Freeriding, then you don't need it.

Tell them what bike you want and buy it in the right size. If its a good shop, they'll fucking order the right size for you.

Oh, look at Specialized, specifically, the RockHopper line. IMHO its the best mid-range-priced bike for the money. I bought the top of the line RockHopper back in '98 and it was better then a lot of bikes that cost $500 more at the time.

Oh, with Aluminium, is that really want you want? A steel bike can be almost as light, costs less and flexes more, so its a little bit easier on your body.

Don't let the shop guys force you into anything that's not exactly what you need and want in EXACTLY the size you need!!!!

Worst case, get your ass over to College Station and I'll take you bike shopping. We have 3 really good shops in town.