timherman

Flying with a rig

I was wondering if there was anything to be concerned about when packing a rig in an unpressurized, non climate controlled baggage compartment? Would the prolonged (few hours) exposure to low temperatures (up to negative 50 outside air temp) be something to worry about? Also, my rig has a cypress II

Are we talking about a normal commercial aircraft cargo hold? Never heard of any issues ... as for the AAD, make sure it's turned off before you put it on the flight. Good practice even if you're carrying it on.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

I was wondering if there was anything to be concerned about when packing a rig in an unpressurized, non climate controlled baggage compartment? Would the prolonged (few hours) exposure to low temperatures (up to negative 50 outside air temp) be something to worry about? Also, my rig has a cypress II

An ordinary commercial jetliner has the baggage compartment pressurized just like the rest of the cabin. Although it might get a bit colder than the rest of the cabin, it is also heated and will not get nearly as cold as the outside temp.

Even if it wasn't pressurized and heated, it still would not be a problem.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

>I was wondering if there was anything to be concerned about when packing a
>rig in an unpressurized, non climate controlled baggage compartment?

Commercial airlines have pressurized and heated cargo compartments. (Which is why dogs checked as baggage survive.) Make sure your AAD is off before flying with the rig.

IIRC...modern commercial AC have nearly the same environment in baggage as the rest of the plane.

Often there are temperature sensitive animals, medicines and 'hazardous materials' riding down there with the bras & panties.

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Part of the environment tests for TSO certification is to precondition the test parachute assembly (i.e. parachute inside container) at not greater than -40 for no less than 16 hours. Then stabilize to ambient and test jump.

I would be willing to wager that your container and parachutes will survive just fine, but it might not hurt to send an email to airtec regarding the AAD. I have no idea the environment tests they do on their end. Please share, if you find out.

No, I am a military pilot and the jet I fly has an external baggage pod that is not pressurized or heated. I will be doing a lot of cross country training flights over the next year and would like to bring my rig around with me.

I can't think of anything that could possibly damage a rig under those conditions.

Sounds typical of conditions experienced during WWII in unpressurized B-17's and other aircraft.

Sub-freezing temps were the norm for long hours, and even then the gear was sometimes jumped, with openings in terminal velocity speeds with no deployment slow-down device.
You live more in the few minutes of skydiving than many people live in their lifetime

Hi Slurp,

Part of the environment tests for TSO certification is to precondition the test parachute assembly (i.e. parachute inside container) at not greater than -40 for no less than 16 hours. Then stabilize to ambient and test jump.

That depends upon the specific TSO standard. C & D ( and probably E if it ever gets here { and I hope it doesn't } ) have enviromental standards; but B does not.

Just to be clear . . .

JerryBaumchen

Thanks for all the help. I wrote the people at cypress with this question and here is their response:

"according to the engineering team in Germany: "It is O.K. for the unit to experience this condition as a storage, (with CYPRES switched off). If there is sufficient time to warm up before working mode, there is no concern."