jaaska

A roadtrip to US

Advice needed, please.

I got married with the best girl in the world (oh, just trying to be objective :$) just a bit over week ago. She's a teacher and I'm still a student so we decided to postpone our honeymoon until she's having her summer break and I have my masters (around June).

We have both been to the states before and we have had a dream of doing a coast to coast roadtrip trough the US for quite some time now. First we would fly to CA, purchase a car and just drive away - w/o specific plans - arrive to the east cost (NYC?) in about 4-6 weeks, and sell the car. I think this would be the best way to see your beautiful country. We have got some friends on the way we planned to visit.

So, the questions:

The problem seems to be the insurance for the vehicle... Someone told me that it is darn hard to get an insurance since we're not residents etc. Is this true? :(

If it's possible to get one, how much I should expect to pay for one? (we're are there only for six weeks or so, so does that bring it down a bit?) Is the insurance person- or vehicle-specific? (So, is one insurance enough for both of us?). Can you recommend any companies I should contact for more information?

How much should I expect to pay for an inexpensive, reliable enough (to get us across the continent), preferable AC'ed, manual or automatic car?

There are tons of other questions, but I'll ask them later once I find out whether this car thing works out or not...

I (we) would really appreciate your help!

Jaakko Skantsi (and Mrs. Marjukka Skantsi), Finland

PS. I have looked into other possibilities such as renting or driveaway companies. Problem with the renting is that the car should be returned to the point of origin (or one has to pay pretty heavy return payment). The driveaways are pretty restraining and one may end up waiting for another driveaway opportunity up to week or so (depending of course where you are). If you have other ideas, I'm more than happy to hear them!

my advice: dont buy a car. Just for the maint hassle. You could buy a cheap Honda (read reliable) w/ A/C ect....but expect to pay at least 5-6 thousand. plus, what if it doent sell very fast? Check w/ National Rent a car, or thrifty... both of those do one way... I know I have done it... and yea they can be overpriced... but no issues w/ insurance or maint.

also... hook up w/ some skydivers over here.... Im sure there are some willing to move you a part of the way. I know if you were in my part of the country... I could handle moving ya a few hours east and west of me.

Just and idea! Good luck.
Goddam dirty hippies piss me off! ~GFD
"What do I get for closing your rig?" ~ me
"Anything you want." ~ female skydiver
Mohoso Rodriguez #865

I have to concur with Yardhippie - If you buy a car and it dies on you, it's could possibly cost you some very tall cash to get it repaired. You'd also have to mess with registration, insurance, possibly a safety inspection, etc. With a rental, none of that is an issue, and you can get some sweet rides from some of the rental companies and travel in good style.

May I suggest as cheap pay-as-you go cell phone during your visit? It will be easier to call some of us DZ.commers to hook up with on your tour!

Dear Mr & Mrs Skantsi,
Very interesting idea... an adventure!

I will respond first by trying to answer your questions;
Insurance?-Line it up BEFORE you leave (Finland?)...Allstate, Progressive are two.

Insurance?- Person or vehicle specific?-Usually vehicle specific for household. Contact Ins. Company

Car purchase:- West coast purchase; East coast sales?-The coast of living in USA is highest on both coasts. So expect to pay high $ in California. Theoretically, you should be able to recoupe most of your investment in NY. Lving in KC, I would not even hazard a guess as to price in Cal. Here, maybe $2k
absolute minimum if you are VERY lucky.

---------------------------------------------

The last thing I want to do is discourage you, however....Remember you will need transportation to shop for car & time to sell it. Without going into further detail, you should have personal contacts or family on both coasts to help you.

MY ADVICE:
Look further into rental car...You should be able to find a coast to coast company.
Rental companies advertise with USPA, but I cannot find my info-HELP?
Companies that advertise with my ins. co.(Allstate) are;
Avis, Alamo,Hertz, Budget, & National.

Best wishes, God speed,

D

ED: PS
Send personal message for help while in KC

you can rent a car from hertz (as long as you're 25) and can return it somewhere else without much of a hassle. It would be very expensive, though.

consider renting an RV. The vehicle costs will be more expensive, but you don't have to pay for a place to stay, and you don't have to pay to eat out, because you'd have a kitchen.

If you have to return it to the same place, start in New York (or Los Angeles), go across the northern states and see what you wish there, and on your way back, head across the southern states and back up to where you started.

If you're going to do a road trip, PLEASE, make sure you spend a few days in Yellowstone Park. Its one of those places where you can take a good, hard look at the awesome power of nature, and all you can think is "WOW."

Have fun!!!!!

Look further into rental car...You should be able to find a coast to coast company.

I rented a minivan to drive from California to Florida last year and will be doing it again next month. I used Hertz.

Another option might be to rent cars only for the times you'll be going from place to place, then rely on public transportation (or skydivers B|) to get around while you're staying someplace. imho you really don't "see" much of a place if you just drive through it; as a skydiver you have people all over the US who can really show you the place they live - and who would be more than happy to do so.

I'm jealous. I'd love to take that much time to see the US.

You can get cheaper insurance if you get a US drivers licence...I was told.

No clue how much you'll save tho. But you can look into it if you'll end up buying a car.

Grats on your wedding and enjoy your honeymoon B|

"A computer lets you make more mistakes faster than any invention
in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and
tequila." -Mitch Ratliffe

Thank you, all of you, for your replies!

I need to start to contact rental companies and/or re-think driveaway thing. I just checked "normal" price for renting a car from LAX, CA to JFK, NY for five weeks - 1790$. Not as bad as I thought it would be. Some extra costs are to be expected since I want my wife to drive some of the time...

Oh, and for everyone in the dropzone.com community: Like I mentioned, we have not planned a particular route, though we will definitely visit some of our friends on a way. My wife is a whuffo, so this is not going to be a skydive vacation :P, but I would like to visit some DZ's and jump couple of times with rent/demo gear. There is no point, however, to take my own gear for <10 jumps...
SO, the point is, if there are beautiful things to see around the area you live, or better yet, you would like to show some of them yourself, contact me with personal message/email.

About the phone thing (cruzlite did not write about it, but I'll just ask it here... :)
Does a triband GSM phone work over there? How good of a coverage one can get with an GSM? Is it possible to buy pay-as-you go SIM card? (Would this be cheaper than buying a phone?)

It would be, indeed, very handy to have a cell phone and a "local" (US) phone number!

most companies here are not pay-as-you-go... but, you wouldn't be able to get a regular mobile phone without good credit, which you wouldn't have.

what you can do, is walk into a Verizon Wireless shop (or order online) where they sell special phones that are pay-as-you-go, and buy one of those to use. Pay-as-you-go is expensive here, though.

Check with your current mobile provider. they should be able to tell you if you have coverage here.

Does a triband GSM phone work over there? How good of a coverage one can get with an GSM? Is it possible to buy pay-as-you go SIM card? (Would this be cheaper than buying a phone?)

My understanding is they do. But you should contact your carrier for details. . .Several people here have GSM phones so I know the type is not an issue. . .
FGF #6
Darcy

yes, tri band phones will work in the states.

Check with your service provider before you go to see who their network partners are.

Watch out though, calls wont be the cheapest!

Wait, your from finland? i bet you have some kick ass Nokia's out there B|
Phoenix Fly - High performance wingsuits for skydiving and BASE
Performance Designs - Simply brilliant canopies

Kris is absolutely right-
Yellowstone/Yosemite are MUST see!
The phone thing...
My brother is down from Alaska, (WE both use Nokia
phones...From Finland?) & he is pissed- his cell provider/contract is 'supposed' to have free roaming/
long distance in lower 48 states through Cingular.
It doesn't connect-or receive. (CONTRACT ISSUE)
My Nokia is GSM 850/1900 capable-
Don't know if Cingular uses GSM 850/1900..will post answer when they open. (Good provider/BAD website)
Point:
Not only do you need US provider that uses GSM...
Your provider must have contract with them...
& even then it may not connect & receive.
Advice;
Check with your provider-if they say yes-bring phone-
DON"T expect it to work-be prepared to pick up pay as you go phone for emergency calls etc.
Lu7k,
D
ED;PS,
My tri band GSM Nokia6340i/Cingular combo gives (excelent) coverage in mid-west. It kicks over to cell
in low lying areas though.

Update;
Cingular does indeed use GSM...
If your provider has a contract aggreement w/ Cingular (or another US Co. using GSM)- Your phone is suposed to work here. If your contract minutes include international roaming & long distance it could be cheaper than other options.
My brother was told today that his problems (above)
are temporary & would be resolved shortly...we'll see.
D

Update;
Cingular does indeed use GSM...
If your provider has a contract aggreement w/ Cingular (or another US Co.)- Your phone is suposed to work here. If your contract minutes include international roaming & long distance it could be cheaper than other options.
My brother was told today that his problems (above)
are temporary & would be resolved shortly...we'll see.
D

a word of advice, I use Cingular GSM ... well, if the #@$%^@#$% phone actually works that is. Coverage is crappy at best but they are getting there. Just don't expect too much, chances are climbing that cell tower for the better signal wont make much of a difference ...

What kind of phone do you use?
Where in Ohio do you live?
Do other companies have better coverage in your area?
Driving a Limo in KC - I had only 2 dead spots in the meto area 6 monthes ago, as of yesterday-only one.
Climbing that tower can warm up the hardware on your rig if you get in front of the dish though.

I use a Sony Ericson T316. My other half is using some type of Samsung and gets just as shitty signal quality.
There are other companies in the area with MUCH better coverage, AT&T, T-Mobile, even Verizon but I don't think any of the offer any kind of GSM services, I'd have to look to be sure.
I live about 20 miles north of downtown Cincinnati.
I have to admit, when I do have coverage the sound quality is far better than any of the other services .. its just too bad the c-area isnt quite there yet.