JohnRich

Gun Control Laws Don't Work!

All criminals were once law abiding citizens. How will you know which law abiding citizens are going to go bad?

How do you know which law abiding citizens will fail to properly secure their firearms so they can be easily stolen and enter the criminal world?

How do you know which law abiding citizens will snap in a moment of stress and shoot the guy who cut them off in traffic?

Gosh, I guess the only possible solution to make society safe is to just lock up everybody before they have a chance to "go bad".

One thing for sure, we shouldn't trust citizens to be responsible, until they prove otherwise.

(yes, that is sarcasm)

He did have a valid point. I addressed it with him, hoping to carry on a pleasant conversation by PM. No slight at all to Jimbo. But I figured that he and I could carry on a more civil conversation without interference by some of the aforementioned trolls.

It kind of makes you look like you are afraid to have your views face public scrutiny here...

All criminals were once law abiding citizens. How will you know which law abiding citizens are going to go bad?

How do you know which law abiding citizens will fail to properly secure their firearms so they can be easily stolen and enter the criminal world?

How do you know which law abiding citizens will snap in a moment of stress and shoot the guy who cut them off in traffic?

Gosh, I guess the only possible solution to make society safe is to just lock up everybody before they have a chance to "go bad".

One thing for sure, we shouldn't trust citizens to be responsible, until they prove otherwise.

(yes, that is sarcasm)

If you think that's "the only possible solution " then you are very closed minded.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

He did have a valid point. I addressed it with him, hoping to carry on a pleasant conversation by PM. No slight at all to Jimbo. But I figured that he and I could carry on a more civil conversation without interference by some of the aforementioned trolls.

It kind of makes you look like you are afraid to have your views face public scrutiny here...

No, not at all. If you look back through the hundreds of posts I've written on the matter, you'll see that my views are clearly defined in the public realm of the forum. If you are unfamiliar with them, go read them.

I'm certainly not afraid to express my opinion. I am however, weary of explaining simple things over and over to a vocal few closed-minded individuals who are incapable of grasping the concepts. No need to name names and insult them. So, rather than continue in that unproductive, futile and frustrating manner, I decided that I'd take it to private messages on occasion with those people that I might disagree with, but with whom I feel a constructive private conversation can be held.

Is that crystal clear?

And carrying a handgun does not increase your chance of injury or death in a criminal attack - it greatly lessens it. I've got the statistics to prove it. Would you like to see them?

Here's the information I mentioned (above).

Attack, Injury and Crime Completion Rates in Robbery and Assault 

Incidents:

Rates of Injury by Victim's Method of Protection:

Robbery Assault
Physical force ............................ 51% 52%
Tried to get help or frighten attacker .... 49% 40%
Knife ..................................... 40% 30%
Non-violent resistance/evasion ............ 35% 26%
Threatened or reasoned with attacker ...... 31% 25%
Other measures ............................ 27% 21%
No self protection ........................ 25% 27%
Other weapon .............................. 22% 25%
Gun ....................................... 17% 12%

From: Kleck G, "Point Blank: Guns and Violence in America",
Table 4.4.
Source: Analysis of incident files of 1979-1985 National Crime
Survey public use computer tapes (ICPSR,1987b).
Note: Percentages do not total to 100% since any single
criminal incident can involve several different types of
self-protection methods.

Do you notice which method of self-defense is most effective, and most likely to prevent injury during a robbery or assault?

Answer: A gun.

(yes, that is sarcasm)

Well, someone agrees with me:

"I believe that people who are gonna commit crimes shouldn't have guns", G. W. Bush.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

Well, someone agrees with me: "I believe that people who are gonna commit crimes shouldn't have guns", G. W. Bush.

We still await your ideas for a solution to this problem...

I hope that you're not going to suggest that we discriminate against people, based upon some theory about what they "might" do in the future.

John now that your boy Dubya is in office why doesn't he throw out some of those gun laws that don't work? For example the assault rifle ban?
I know a lot of people who voted for Bush just because they were afraid they would lose their right to own firearms if they didn't. Personally I think if anyone was going to try and disarm the american people, Bush would be the first guy to come to mind.
Don't get me wrong, I've got my share of stacks of american hunter just like the next guy, but I don't follow the political stuff anymore,

blues

jerry

John now that your boy Dubya is in office why doesn't he throw out some of those gun laws that don't work? For example the assault rifle ban?

The so-called assault rifle ban is due to expire in September, 2004. There will be a lot of rhetoric from the anti-gun folks, predicting doom and gloom if that is allowed to happen. But the fact is, studies have shown it had no effect upon reducing gun crime. (Gun laws don't work!) The NRA is not 100% confident that Bush won't renew it. It's going to be a political hot potato this year.

I know a lot of people who voted for Bush just because they were afraid they would lose their right to own firearms if they didn't.

And they were correct to think that way. Gore would have continued the attacks against gun owners carried out by Clinton. Many political commentators credit gun owner votes for defeating Gore.

Personally I think if anyone was going to try and disarm the american people, Bush would be the first guy to come to mind.

I don't know why you say that. Bush was elected Governor of Texas, partly because he promised to sign a concealed handgun carry law, which the previous governor had vetoed. And once elected, he kept that promise, and now Texans can carry concealed handguns. He's fairly strong on gun owner rights. And Dick Cheny is even stronger, and supposedly advises Bush on gun issues.