Airviking

Pull-out PC

I've jumped a pull out for 1000+ jumps, never had floating puds etc (which with modern gear is more due to poor equipment maintenance or packing than combat RW). However, I have also had a pilot chute in tow - with a pull out (and yes, the pilot chute was cocked), so pull out doesn't remove that possibility!!

BTW the Icon stowage for the throw out handle is very similar in design to a throw out pud.

But by far the most important factor that hasn't been mentioned as to why the pull out is far better than throw out is that pull out does not require a big ugly spandex pocket on the bottom of the container and so looks much better!!!! (Oh, and is slightly quicker to pack too).

Blue skies

Paul

But by far the most important factor that hasn't been mentioned as to why the pull out is far better than throw out is that pull out does not require a big ugly spandex pocket on the bottom of the container and so looks much better!!!!
Blue skies

Paul

Yep, that's really the reason why I scoured the globe looking for one of these rigs. I knew the the dead sexy pullout would further enhance my already impeccable style.;)
I believe you have my stapler.

Tim,

Did not intend to say you started any “urban legends”. What I had in mind was that so many times there would be an issue with some brand or a component and depending on the geographic location and popularity of the manufacture/designer it fades from the market or continue to be used with just minor alterations. Over the years the issues would be brought up over and over. With each retelling more and more of the facts disappeared the story teller swore he was on site and saw it with his own eyes.

On toggles, I believe but have no data to back it up that most brake releases during deployment are caused by the jumper reaching for rear risers and dislodging the toggle with his hand. Before the advent of “Velcro-less” premature brake release was almost unheard of. Anytime you take a system and change one component there with be an affect somewhere else on the system that must be addressed. The transition to “Spectra” lines lead to tuck tabs and the tuck toggle.

Make the lanyard from the handle to the pin 1 piece of webbing.

I am sure at one time someone saw a reason for it but I’ll be damned if I understand it. One more layer of complexity.

I personally dislike handles on throwouts that do not tuck in.

This has always been a pet peeve with me. You can’t throw a few oz. of nylon into a 120 mph wind. Where the PC is when you release it is as far as it going. Both systems are hand deployed PC’s that the jumper pulls out and releases. The difference is how and when the pin is extracted.

I have jumped both and feel comfortable with both. To me the limiting factor is the “pull out” has a limited market share making for fewer jumpers understanding how they work. That leads to more jumper explaining something he knows little if anything about. Coming full circle we are now back to “And from there we get urban legends that people take as fact.”

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Why are PC bridles typically a flat webbing not 550 cord?

1” Type VI is the same width as 1” Velcro. :)

Why is the reserve high on the back, not low?

The first “pig rigs” were nothing more than a chest mount container sewn to the top a back container.

Why do modern systems use a split harness (and have the "hole") versus a "sling" harness?

Cost, ease of production and added “Cool” factor.

maybe on a belly band...?

Belly band was found to be too complicated for skydivers to operate.

Two words: Tape-wells?

Velcro became un-cool.

It does happen that bad designs are revisited. When the next generation tries it again, at least they should have the opportunity to make new mistakes rather than repeat old (fatal) mistakes.

"It is tragic to become a statistic because of some new set of circumstances, but it is unforgivable if it has occurred before." Dan Pointer, 1971

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals