SkydiveMonkey

Random drug tests in schools?

Excellent plan to give the kids a chance in life.
My brother & sister would have lived life rather than survived it if this was in their "school days".
(brother 6yrs older forced my to smoke weed at age 9 or kick my ass for being a "Narc")
The perfect way out of "peer pressure as saying NO due to new laws, would be great for kids that want to be clean. I wanted to follow the 450+yr tradition(Grant Clan/Black Watch) of being in Law enforcment and my brother's force destroyed MY hopes as well.

Well, it wouldn't fly here in the states so I haven't really thought about it.

I suppose I'd have to be against it...

You require kids by law to attend school and now you're going to subject them to piss-tests?

I have no problem with bringing a police dog in while they are in class and letting it sniff around, but come on, "random?" I like a little more probable cause than "he was acting out."
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

forced my to smoke weed at age 9 ....... I wanted to follow the 450+yr tradition(Grant Clan/Black Watch) of being in Law enforcment and my brother's force destroyed MY hopes as well.

Dude, I smoked some weed as a kid too, and I had no problem getting into law enforcement at both the state and federal level. I have an older brother who still smokes pot, ......it has nothing to do with me. Maybe you are giving your brother a little too much influence.

Oh, and drug testing in school.....fuck that. No way.

It's already being done here in the US, primarily within the athletic programs though. Outside of that, these schools have these stupid "zero" tolerance rules where kids are getting suspended for having aspirin or Advil or some silly sh*t.

I can't talk to the UK "laws" but kids in the US don't have the same constitutional rights as adults. "Acting out" isn't much of a probable cause. Substance abuse problems, left unchecked, more often result in an individual withdrawing from their social circles, etc.

Having wrote that, I'm still not sure I support 100%. If a local school district could be trusted to enact programs like this on their own, then local oversight is ideal. Unfortunately, they can't be trusted to do that, thus my reluctance.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

The difference is you sign up for sports as an extracuricular elective. You can take the test or not play, simple choice. My issue with 'random' tests is like you said, who has oversight versus who actually deals with it.

And like I've said before, Zero Tolerance requires Zero Intelligence.
witty subliminal message
Guard your honor, let your reputation fall where it will, and outlast the bastards.
1*

where is the probable cause and protection from unlawful search and seisure?

This is in the UK, they don't have the same rights...
witty subliminal message
1*

This is in the UK, they dont have the same rights...

I don't think kids in the US have the same rights either, that's why I'm not 100% against it. Kids in the US go through metal detectors, their bags get searched all the time. There are no warrants involved, no due process.
So I try and I scream and I beg and I sigh
Just to prove I'm alive, and it's alright
'Cause tonight there's a way I'll make light of my treacherous life
Make light!

Yeah, I always wondered how you could rationalize opening a back pack for no reason. I have no issue with metal detector in schools that have stabbings and whatnot going on.
witty subliminal message
1*

This is in the UK, they don't have the same rights...

The rights may not be identical, but the UK had a Bill of Rights about 100 years before the US.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

I agree, where is the probable cause and protection from unlawful search and seisure?

oh and nice sig line . . .:D

RIGHT ON! Beware of the piss police......people of America are standing in line to give the up personal rights. :|

"Some call it heavenly in it's brilliance,
others mean and rueful of the western dream"

And if you read his later post, you'd see that he apologized for not realizing this was going on in the UK.

Even if you didn't read the link, simply reading the full two lines of the first post will show you it's happening across the pond.

over Blair's latest plans...

standing in line indeed.
witty subliminal message
1*

This is in the UK, they dont have the same rights...

I don't think kids in the US have the same rights either, that's why I'm not 100% against it. Kids in the US go through metal detectors, their bags get searched all the time. There are no warrants involved, no due process.

Ever been to an airport???