redmonte85

Camera Ideas

Hi skydivers, I am going to be taking my first jump ever soon and I wanted to know what you veterans think about cameras. The company I am jumping with offers video taping for 70$ a person. There are several of us going and I figured it would be better just to buy some video cameras but I am on a budget. I know about the GoProHD and contour cameras but they are 200+ and I am looking for something cheaper than this. I imagine I am going to love the skydive and possibly get my certification to fall solo. So I would like to know any suggestions you folks have on cameras to buy (if any) that are maybe in the 75-150$ range. I know that in this price range I wont be able to get 1080p but thats not a big deal. Any help is much appreciated. Thanks and good luck.

Will make it a very easy choice, it is recommended that you have 200+ jumps to wear a camera during a jump.

So wearing one for your first tandem or AFF jump is not an option :)
For those $70 you will have a videographer jump with you, which will help capture the experience in a much better way than if you strapped any camera on yourself.

Have fun on that first jump!

"Common sense is not so common" - Voltaire
Dudeist Skydiver #9

As responded in my PM.
~you're not going to find any camera worth owning for $70.00
~even if you did, it would be terrible quality compared to what the videographer would shoot
~You'll be missing out on the skydive, because you'd be messing with your camera.
~since your camera puts you and your TI at risk, most places won't allow you to carry a camera anyway.
~even if they did let you, there is a significant risk you'd lose it, putting others (on the ground) at risk.

$70.00 is cheap for a videographer on a jump.

$70.00 is cheap for a videographer on a jump.

ain't that the truth, lots of places it's at or closer to $100.

your 1st jump is a once in a lifetime thing so let the pros take care of the video. plus they do more than just the freefall. they do pre-jump, the jump, and post jump. and they'll even set it to your favorite song if you bring a CD.

blue skies and have fun!!
diamonds are a dawgs best friend