shmali

Cypress check, Doh!!!!!!!!!

So i just found out that my cypress is due for its 8 year check. Unexpectedly, i might add :S. The guy i bought it from said he'd had the 8 year check done last year. Turns out it was just the batteries that were changed. So now my rig is out of commission for the next 3 weeks [:/]:(. Now there is this void in the corner of my closet that looks so unnatural.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

So....just jump without a CYPRES. Believe it or not, it's not the end of the world. Just stick to skydives that you know are within your skill limits, and you'll be fine.

Incidentally (and this goes for everyone), in the future, if you are thinking about buying a used CYPRES from someone, send an email to

[email protected]

before you buy it. They can provide you with 4- and 8-year service dates and battery replacement history on the unit. All you need to do is send them the serial number. I was looking at buying a used CYPRES not too long ago that hadn't had an 8-year, even though the seller said it had.

Hope this helps.

Matt
-----

So....just jump without a CYPRES. Believe it or not, it's not the end of the world. Just stick to skydives that you know are within your skill limits, and you'll be fine.

For personal reasons I won't jump without a cypress. It's all about comfort level and if a person doesn't feel comfortable without a cypress, it doesn't matter how simple the skydive is going to be.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

For personal reasons I won't jump without a cypress. It's all about comfort level and if a person doesn't feel comfortable without a cypress, it doesn't matter how simple the skydive is going to be.

Oh no, don't get me wrong. It is a personal decision to be made entirely by the person who is jumping. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to jump sans CYPRES.

My point is simply that not having a CYPRES is not an automatic non-jumping situation. Nowadays, most everyone has a CYPRES, and they are generally considered part of one's gear (as a main or reserve would be). But, thousands of people made thousands of skydives before the CYPRES was invented. Not having one does not automatically mean you can't skydive.

Matt
-----

But, thousands of people made thousands of skydives before the CYPRES was invented. Not having one does not automatically mean you can't skydive.

I'm in those numbers:o

Oh no, don't get me wrong. It is a personal decision to be made entirely by the person who is jumping. There is absolutely nothing wrong with not wanting to jump sans CYPRES.

I understood where you were coming from. I've seen the tides change over the years. More and more people are grounding themselves if they don't have their cypress. Is this good? Who knows, again, it's the comfort level.
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

Oh I understand that completely. I choose not to jump it just cause, its my choice to do so. Also going back to what kelly was getting at, it would mean that i would have to get a 2nd repack to have the cypress installed. BUt it makes sense anyway, i need money to jump and money to have the check so better to only feed one gator at a time.

Pineappe Death Juice, If you have to ask you'd rather not know!

[email protected]

before you buy it. They can provide you with 4- and 8-year service dates and battery replacement history on the unit. All you need to do is send them the serial number. I was looking at buying a used CYPRES not too long ago that hadn't had an 8-year, even though the seller said it had.
Matt
-----

I didn't realize there were people out there who would do something as scummy as misrepresent whether they had actually had the CYPRES serviced as scheduled! How friggin' LOW.

Is it possible that they were confused between battery replacement and "servicing"? What's the excuse?

Man, it makes me glad that my rig was outfitted with a new CYPRES 2, and that the battery isn't due for its first check for FOUR YEARS!!!
:)
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"