maverick3n1

Maintenance

I'm considering getting into skydiving as a hobby. I've done the first step in the AFF training course and loved it. I tend to have the "go all of the way or not at all" attitude however when I jump into things, so using that mindset, I like to know what I'm getting into.

My thought if I get into this, is to buy a used rig immediately following completion of the AFF course. From my understanding, I can get a used rig for somewhere in the ballpark of $2000. Then as I need to upgrade to a smaller rig, I turn around and sell the rig for close to what I bought it for, and upgrade. This would save me the rental fee on every jump, and sounds like it'd make it a bit more cost effective.

What I don't know however is what is involved in maintenance on your own rig. Other than having to repack your reserve every 6 months, what other maintenance things typically come up? How often do you need to replace other parts typically (assuming you take care of your gear and aren't dragging it on the ground etc..)? What does that maintenance typically cost?

Any help would be appreciated =)

That's a good plan, and the most cost effective way to get into skydiving. The $2000 price tag might be a little low, however.

First off, you'll be looking at rigs without an AAD. In general, an AAD will add anywhere from $500 to $1200 to the cost of a rig depending on if you can find a used AAD or not. Used AADs are hard to come by because they tend to sell quick and easy. Most DZ have a handful of people looking to buy a cheap AAD at any time, so many of them never reach the 'open market'. One thing to remember about AADs is that they can follow you from rig to rig, so you could buy a new one, and have it for many, many, years. Since the used AAD market is so strong, you can also count on being able to sell it for full market value at anytime if you want to get out of the sport, so it's a failry sound 'investment'.

In terms of rigs, $2000 is little shy. You can find complete rigs for that price, or less, but you get what you pay for. You may find an airworthy rig, but it might be older equipment that could limit your jumping options.

With no AAD, figure closer to $2500 or $3000. At that price, you can find a 'modern' rig that should serve you well. Additionally, if you buy smart, you can find a rig that will allow you to switch out canopies once or twice, so when you need a smaller canopy, you can just sell the main canopy and put a smaller one in your existing rig. The reserve does not need to be changed at any time.

Upkeep on a rig should be fairly minnimal, provided that you have your rig inspected by a rigger before you buy it. The most expensive item would be a reline for the canopy as the lines wear and strech/shrink with age. A reline can run you $250, but an inspection can give you an approx number fo jumps before a reline is needed, and you may be able to avoid the cost all together.

Everything else is minor in terms of cost, provided you don't damage the rig. If you slide in a landing on concrete or pavement, you could do severl hundred dollars worth of damage to the harness or container.

Back to AADs, if you are looking at a Cypres model AAD (which is what you should be looking at) they have required scheduled maintenance at 4 year intervals. In general, the pruchase price will reflect where a Cypres is in the maintenance schedule, but this is where a good rigger can help you out.

Make sure you have a rigger asist you and approve of any gear before you purchase it. This will ensure you get a fair deal and avoid unwanted surprises.

These are all good points to consider provided by the previous posters. One thing I can add that may help, when you are looking at a rig, the provided information should include a date of manufacture. Take a quick peek at the manufacturer’s web site. Normally you will find “Service Bulletins” somewhere in the support area. This process is a job for your rigger to perform, but if you find an outstanding required repair on a potential purchase, you would be able to ask in advance if the Service Bulletin has been satisfied. This could save you weeks, if you were to buy a rig that needed a trip to the factory before it was air-worthy. You can also get a good look at the manual. Learn as much as you can before you buy!

Ask your rigger(s) at your home DZ what they like and are comfortable with. Buying something they are familiar with, and something they may already have spare components for, could also help you in the long run. I don’t see too many Racers at our DZ, so for one of our members to buy one isn’t frowned upon, but I wouldn’t be able to tell you what to look for in your initial inspection and decision.

One of my friends bought a used Quasar II a few weeks ago. I was there, at Couch Freaks, when he bought it. But not being familiar with the rig, we got stung on both notes above. The rig had an outstanding Service Bulletin and my lack of knowledge about the Quasar II didn’t allow me to catch it before the sale. It cost an extra $100.00 to send it in and have the work done by Strong Ent. Don’t get me wrong, sending the rig to Strong works out great for the long term. They gave it every possible inspection and performed the update at a very reasonable price. They even replaced a leg pad that had a tear for no charge! The only thing my friend really lost was three weeks waiting for it.

Talk to your instructors! Don’t buy until you finish your AFF! Paying for a couple extra rentals is a lot cheaper than buying the wrong setup. Be patient….Slow is FAST when skydiving is the subject!

Hope this helps.
Good Luck / Blues…

Thanks for all of the great info!

Other than age being a factor when it comes to some possible service bulletins, does it play any other vital roles? Are rigs like cars, in the concept that there are some cars that are 20 years old that if maintained properly, are better/more reliable and dependable than some of the newer cars today? Or has technology changed so much that a 20 year rig would be pointless to look at? If it only had 70 jumps on it, could I expect it to be fine, or has the design and reliability changed so much between then and now that the rig would be too outdated to be worth spending money on for current use?

Also, how does the price scale look at the moment. Has the hobby dropped dramatically in price for gear, or is it still fairly similar to 10 years ago? When I got into flying remote control Helicopters about 6-8 years ago, my first bird cost me approx $3,000. Now I could get an equivalence to that (a top end bird that size) for around a 3rd of that price.

I know Skydiving has been around a long time, but so has R/C airplanes/helicopters. It just wasn't as popular when I got into it then vs now. Are prices fairly stable now a days on average equipment, or are prices falling, and 2 years from now, I may find gear half the price it is now due to a larger demand, and thus a step up in mass production, reducing prices? Should I expect to buy my used gear now for $3,000, and only a year later, suddenly find that new gear is now selling for $3000 for a kit and I have to sell mine for $1500 to compete?

Obviously nobody can tell the future, but those who have been in the hobby for a while have at least seen the trends and can get an idea of what the trends seem to be. Are prices fairly leveled out now?

Has the hobby dropped dramatically in price for gear, or is it still fairly similar to 10 years ago?

Opposite direction. Prices for just about everything have gone up in the last 5-10 years.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

You're missing the point, in a way. A service bulletin is something like a recall, each mfg issues them in an attitude of safety. If they find something wrong with their design, they issue a service bulletin to correct the flaw. Some can be fixed by your local rigger, some must be sent in. Others may be grounded? It's all about safety.

Age is the enemy, yes. But you can tell a rig that was cared for vs one that was neglected. Fading and fatigue are not easily covered up. Once you find something you think is good, first ask your instructor. He'll know if the rig is a good choice by dimention. He'll know if you have the skill to fly it safely. Then ask your rigger to inspect it, he can tell you if the rig is safe: airworthy.

Beyond that, you need to learn more about the sport. You need to feel what it's like to depend on that thing on your back to save your life. Learn about the equipment so you know what things do and why. If you think you want to skydive, get your ass to the drop zone and hook up with them. Considering gear choices and cost is simple. Deciding if this sport is for you can only be figured out after you get going. A lot, probably most, first jumpers can't wait to go again. But for one reason, or another, very few go on to get a license. If you are one of the few, money and time won't matter. You'll jump as often as your bank account will allow. Then you'll hit up the credit cards. Be prepared to be adicted...we all are!

Another thing to think about is that u can fit smaller canopies into a container. Just because u downsize doesnt mean u have to get rid of your container.
I brought a jav with a 210 canopy in and ended up with a 170 in it in the end. SO u can see how a container can last you for up to 500 jumps.

Are rigs like cars, in the concept that there are some cars that are 20 years old that if maintained properly, are better/more reliable and dependable than some of the newer cars today? Or has technology changed so much that a 20 year rig would be pointless to look at?

Pointless to look at. Some might argue, but some countries have gone as far as establishing life limits for equipment regardless fo their condition. Much like cars, newer gear is designed with newer safety features not available or even thought of 20 years ago. Additionally, skydiving has changed in the last 20 years, and 20 year old gear is not compatible with some of the more modern activites popular in skydiving today.

I may find gear half the price it is now due to a larger demand, and thus a step up in mass production, reducing prices? Should I expect to buy my used gear now for $3,000, and only a year later, suddenly find that new gear is now selling for $3000 for a kit and I have to sell mine for $1500 to compete?

No. First off, a rig that is appropriate for you today, will still be appropriate for you in a year, or two, or three. The gear you select should be far beyond you in the level of performance it can support. The weak link in the chain will be you, and unless you have a trust fund and jump all day, every day, you'll never surpass the performance of your rig in a year or two.

Beyond that, a new rig can run upwards of $9000 these days, so I wouldn't expect that number to be cut by 2/3 anytime soon. Skydiving isn't now, and never will be a mainstream sport, and even then I would hate to think that gear would go the way of mass production.

Even beyond that, this isn't an investment club, it's a sport. If you want to participate, get out your checkbook. Forget about the rest of the world, and buy the gear that you need to jump safely and comfortably at the time of purcahse.

I'll come back to my closing point from my above post, get a respected rigger to help you with your gear purchases, either new or used. You will need a rigger in your life once you own a rig, so ask around the DZ, and get a name. Offer to pay for inspections and their time helping you research, negotiate, and ship gear, and to bring your ongoing rigging needs to them once you have your rig. Your rigger will make sure that you gat a rig that is appropriate for you, at a fair price, and that the rig is properly assembled and legal to jump.