Chris-Ottawa

RE: Rapid Downsizing - Why do it?

Whoops...sorry, I shouldn't have posted. Now you all know I'm still alive. Sorry I ruined your day.

Hey, come on Chris, if you're gonna post and stir things up let's at least hear your side. :)
How many jumps now?
I know you did a whole bunch down in Florida over the winter.
Ever scare yourself? Any comments about the learning process that could actually help other newer jumpers?

And you're flying a giant wingsuit now... but you've upsized to a Spectre 120 for that.

Hey Peter,

Wasn't to stir things up, I was simply contributing as much as Mr. Saxton did...nothing.

Anyways, you asked:

You are correct, I did a whole bunch of jumps at Z-Hills in the 3 weeks I was there. And yes, they were on the 105. Oddly, not a single person made a comment about me jumping it. Surely if my landings were as horrible as the ones in the videos I posted, someone would have noticed, right? I wonder why the PD guys didn't say anything when I demoed an Optimum...They unhooked my main and had my jump numbers on a form. They didn't give it a second though. The gear store didn't even blink when I went to demo a Sabre2 135.

As for close calls, no. No near colissions, no crashes, no object strikes etc. Mind you, I did have 3 off landings. Some pretty scary moments over the swamp at a grand...I assessed where I would land, figured out the winds, and made the landing. I'm happy to say that my assessments were good and all 3 landings were great. One was in a pretty tight spot, crosswind besde a treeline. Still, I did what I've always done and it worked out great.

As for lessons learned or advice. I don't really have much to say other than to make sure if you're going to do what I'm doing, be absolutely sure you're on top of your game. (I know that comment will generate flaming, so I'll elaborate. I basically mean, know what you're getting yourself into, think about the possibilities and be prepared to deal with them) Realize the risk, and make your choice. I'm not at all saying I still won't get hurt, but by putting roughly 70 jums on the 105 since I bought it late last year, I have much more respect for it and have learnt a lot. I'm still not swooping, still don't have an interest. But I was doing some double fronts while in Florida.

As for the wingsuit...can't say much about that, I'm in love and knew that jumping the Cobalt was a bad idea. I bought the Spectre 120 because I had put 85 jumps on my Spectre 135 and feel very comfortable with it. I have a few jumps on the 120 now and it lands great.

Hope that helps!

Chris
"When once you have tasted flight..."

>Oddly, not a single person made a comment about me jumping it.
>Surely if my landings were as horrible as the ones in the videos I posted,
>someone would have noticed, right?

It may well be that many people DID notice, but everyone was sick of being called a canopy nazi, a busybody, unqualified etc and therefore said nothing. Often people will stand by the fence at Perris and watch the "landing follies" - it can be fun on windy days. Since I know pretty much everyone who's jumping, and I know what they're doing with canopy progression, I don't mention their landings to them much. Often someone from the store will be out watching as well, so if the guy on the 149 keeps biffing his landings they won't give him the 129.

Bottom line - lack of comment does not equal lack of notice.

I agree 110%. The only time I hardly ever see someone talking to someone about their canopy size is when they have caused or come close to causing an accident. Especially if you don't jump at that DZ often. Most of the time people do exactly what Billvon said "stand by the fence" and wait. Shit, at my home DZ, they have Biff Bingo. They bet on who is going to mess up there landing the most. I know of other DZ's that have bounce bingo.

I hope that when i'm about to do something stupid people will tell me. :(

(edited to change "my friends" into "people" to emphasise the point.)

"That formation-stuff in freefall is just fun and games but with an open parachute it's starting to sound like, you know, an extreme sport."
~mom