funfall

Icarus reserve?

to explain why I'm asking -

I've only carried (never used) PD reserves in current and previous rigs. Now getting a new rig, and can get a better deal on Icarus reserve. Also, container may hold a slightly larger Icarus than PD. Any reason not to go with Icarus reserve?

note: nothing against PD - I'll keep the PD reserve in my other rig.

I've only jumped mine twice (a 149, loaded at around 1.2). It opened good (sub-terminal), had a really short recovery arc, I couldn't turn it much by leaning in the harness and I could not stall it by normal toggle input. The first landing was a bit exciting, I landed 400 meters before a forrest, it was pretty windy and quite a bit of turbulence. The canopy kept its shape nicely even if we were being thrown around. The second landing was on a no wind day and I landed right next to the freebag and I knew were to pick up the main.

But both flights were mostly some quick control checks followed by hanging in deep breaks waiting for the freebag and canopy to land...

As far as construction goes, I've not inspected it in detail. There were lines and they were attached to some fabric with some reinforcement and there were some slider on it as well... :)

I demo jumped one once and had the other rigger at my DZ jump it, as well. The construction of the reserve seemed just fine.

I jumped a 119, as I have PR126s in my rigs. This had me around a 1.5 WL. I liked the overall flight characteristics, great forward speed, nice flare like any Icarus canopy even after my 180* turn for landing. ;)

What I REALLY did not like was the opening. I took it on a hop n pop out of the Otter, pitched within 2-3 seconds out of the door and it opened FAST, even coming out of a bag from a regular pro-pack. It also stalled VERY suddenly with none of the shake that you are used to on most canopies.

YMMV.

Not again!

I jumped a 119, as I have PR126s in my rigs. This had me around a 1.5 WL. I liked the overall flight characteristics, great forward speed, nice flare like any Icarus canopy even after my 180* turn for landing. ;)

What I REALLY did not like was the opening. I took it on a hop n pop out of the Otter, pitched within 2-3 seconds out of the door and it opened FAST, even coming out of a bag from a regular pro-pack. It also stalled VERY suddenly with none of the shake that you are used to on most canopies.

YMMV.

Have you jumped the PD-R and opened it up with the same speed?
It opens quite fast too. The Optimum opens a bit slower at higher speed.

Icarus don't recommend much of a loading on these reserves, max 1.3 I believe.