antonija

Reserve repack abroad

Here's the question: A rig bought and assembled in USA (by an FAA rigger) is jumped abroad and needs reserve repack (either because its due or was pulled). There are no FAA riggers around (but plenty of localy "legal" riggers). Is it allowed for non-FAA rigger (but a rigger in this particular country) to repack the reserve? Can it be then jumped (legaly) abroad and in US, or will it need an immediate repack when FAA rigger is found?

The reason I'm asking is because here we have to "register" our parachutes with local authorities, unless they've been registered somwhere else. Mine was assembled in USA and is in need of repack, but I'm not sure if its legal to use non-FAA rigger... and there are no FAA riggers around :(

A quick answer would be great :)

EDIT: Also a link to the relevant legal text would be awesome!! B|
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

There is no US law that prohibits in a foreign country, to have an appropriately rated resident of that country inspect, approve, and register your gear.

However, once you return, you will be required to show that your rig is current with US standards, and that includes having the most recent repack done by a FAA certified rigger.

Also, US Dropzones will respect a foreign rigger ONLY if the rig is also foreign, and the jumper is visiting. Likewise, when you travel - you will likely find that the foreign DZ's will likely respect your FAA rigger packed rig, if it is in date.

Your best bet may be to get the rig packed by an FAA rigger before you leave. Failing that, while traveling try to find a foreign rigger that also holds an FAA rating.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I figured that was the case... do you by any chance know which legal text covers this? I'm asking because it just might be "FAA or equivalent rigger" or something like that.
I understand the need for conformity. Without a concise set of rules to follow we would probably all have to resort to common sense. -David Thorne

In the US this is goverened by FAR 105.49:

a) No person may conduct a parachute operation, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow a parachute operation to be conducted from that aircraft with an unapproved foreign parachute system unless--

(1) The parachute system is worn by a foreign parachutist who is the owner of that system.

(2) The parachute system is of a single-harness dual parachute type.

(3) The parachute system meets the civil aviation authority requirements of the foreign parachutist's country.

(4) All foreign non-approved parachutes deployed
by a foreign parachutist during a parachute operation conducted under this section shall be packed as follows--

(i) The main parachute must be packed by the foreign parachutist making the next parachute jump with that parachute, a certificated parachute rigger, or any other person acceptable to the Administrator.

(ii) The reserve parachute must be packed in accordance with the foreign parachutist's civil aviation authority requirements, by a certificated parachute rigger, or any other person acceptable to the Administrator.

If you don't fit into the definition of FAR 105.49, then you must follow 105.43

105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 180 days before the date of its use by a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.

(b) The reserve parachute must have been packed by a certificated parachute rigger-

(1) Within 180 days before the date of its use, if its canopy, shroud, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or similar synthetic fiber or material that is substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, and other fungi, and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(2) Within 60 days before the date of its use, if it is composed of any amount of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber, or material not specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device.

__

See here is the thing: it says

(b) The reserve parachute must have been packed by a certificated parachute rigger-

Does it say anywhere at the beginning of the document what #certified parachute rigger" is?

Just to clarify my situation: I bought a rig (with chutes and AAD) in USA where it was assembled and packed. I brought it to my country and have been happily jumping it. But now it's time for repack and there are no FAA riggers around.

Now if I decide to register my rig with local authorities I will first have to pay for it, second I will need to repack my rig every 90 days (instead of 180 for US rigs). I'd like to avoid giving money for a piece of paper and repacking every 3 months if I can...

Since I did not make this obvious, your rig does not qualify for 105.49 since it is an APPROVED (US made) rig. 105.49 applies only to UNAPPROVED FOREIGN rigs. Since your rig does not make 105.49 applicable, you must follow the rules of 105.43.

_Am
__

I checked FAR 105.3 and 105.43 on the internetz (link) and there is no mention what "certified parachute rigger" means.

Is it possible to interpret it as "a person that hold rigger rating/licence in current geographical location"? :)

It seems to me that you can either try to maintain your gear according to FAA regulations, which requires an FAA rigger, or you can maintain your gear according to your location regulations, which may require 90 day repack cycle.

I don't see how you can do both and also be legal at the same time - but I can't advise you foreign rules, only FAA ones.

_Am
__

Thx for the FAR and all the advice! I'll speak to local riggers about this to see what can be done.

Thanks again!!

I spoke with local rigger and we decided that its better to just bite the bullet and re-register my rig here since there are no FAA riggers around. Unfortunately that means I'll have to do this each year (yeah, it's the law [:/]), repack reserve every 90 days, etc.

But it got my rigger thinking to go and do FAA rigging course because it would make things so much easier for him and for his customers... B|

Where are you insured?
For example if you are an Belgian skydiver with a Belgian skydiver insurance, the Belgian rules apply if you jump in Belgium. The USPA has some extra rules if you jump in the USA, as somebody else has already posted.

Till very recently, when you were a Dutch skydiver, your reserve had to be (re)packed by a Dutch rigger. So if the chief masterrigger of (for example) UPT installed you rig and packed the reserve, a Dutch rigger had to repack it before you could jump it.

FAA = USA.
If your not an American resident jumping with an USPA insurance, see what your local federation has to say about this. More than probably "packed by a certified rigger, in accordance with the manual of the manufacturer".