nathk

Frapp Hats

...are so 80's

Hi GiGi,
'Ya forgot the 70's too, but never could get into the "Fish Bowl" trip. Back in the day, Skydiving was a rough and tumble sport and Serious "Crash" helmets were the rule; Motorcycle, Football, Pilot/Aviators helmets. Oh Yes, Hocky hats came into play in the 70's too. Open head high back when and have an "L-Bar" connector link crack you up side the metalflake paint job on your Bell 500TX and you'll know what I mean!! Time wore on and L-Bars gave way to Rapide's and then to soft links. PLF's gave way to turf surfing and The Frappe Hat came of age. Got a Frappe Hat in the early 80's and it finally fell apart a couple of years ago so I got another one, this one has a ditter pocket in it!! Also like the WWII leather Aviators helmet and the canvas model too!!

Old Steve Fielding was one of the first "Fish Bowl Freaks" that I remember at old Elsinore. This was back in the 70's!! He had one of those big ass, Commando Cody Motorcycle full face helmets!! Story goes that on the way to alt. in the DC-3, somebody snuck Steves' hat away and threw it out over the mountains!! Come up near jump run and Steve couldn't find his "Hat" and did a "Stevie Freak Out Show!!" Joe Morgan said,"Oh Hell!!, Here, use my 'Frappe Hat" and I'll jump without one!!" Well, Steve liked it and went and bought one and jumped it for ever after!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

I've tried several times to find an original Richard Pontvert French Frapp Hat. Asked for help on the French only Forum too. No one makes them.

There is a line of clothes with the Richard Pontvert name---it's very---"French."
I Jumped with the guys who invented Skydiving.

I've tried several times to find an original Richard Pontvert French Frapp Hat. Asked for help on the French only Forum too. No one makes them.

There is a line of clothes with the Richard Pontvert name---it's very---"French."

Lost my original Richard Pontvert hat in Russia in 96 left it in one of the 26's as a spare for the world team never saw it again. bummer.

Mick.

As you mentioned it, Paragear is selling frapp hats. I still saw them at Paragear Skokie Illinois 3 weeks ago when back for the Summefest 2010. But you can get them at Aerostore Pottstown Pennsylvania. Mine was bought from them and was actually made but by Edgardo Gerrero of EG suits. They are very well made. It's my favorite hat for jumping.
Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.

Years ago I had a frapp hat made by a girl named Lonie from Denmark. It was custom made from water buffalo skin with ribs made of python or boa snake skin. While some people congratulated me for the nice look some other pointed out that I wasn't respecting the ecology since snakes were not breeded for that purpose!!!???? As you know, it's always difficult to please everybody[:/]. Unfortunately, that nice frapp hat came to an end after so many years due to the head perspiration.
See the picture

Learn from others mistakes, you will never live long enough to make them all.