blindfreddy

NEOS pack volume

H/C is ~200 jumps old, same as canopy. Bought it new last season. PC is in good shape as it can be after that amount of jumps. I take care of my gear.
Canopy is always searching left/right on opening, sometimes violently, often goes into diving turn after opening. Attached is an example of one of the BEST openings. You can see how it`s rocking me left/right.
dudeist skydiver #42

So, now we’ve pretty much closed the door on Neos packing volume… What are your openings like?

Most of the time good, faster than the crossfire, but not too fast. Then about 1 in 20 openings I get totally slammed by it. I have a 104 loaded at about 2.1-2.2. It's a shame, I really like the canopy otherwise.

I did about 25 demo jumps on a 109 before I bought this one, and didn't have any trouble with the openings. Still faster than the crossfire, but that's okay, those crossfire openings are a bit on the slow side anyway ;-)

If twitchy means potential for off heading, then I concur. However I dont think this is a problem at all.

My snivel is always smooth. Sometimes the very last bit of the opening gives a little snap. Nothing serious. Over all excellent openings!

The neos seems like a strange animal. I have only one jump on a 104 neos. Opening was soft enough, but imo very sensitive for off heading. Once under canopy I much preferred the NEOS over crossfire2.

I think Neos would be my next canopy, but I hear all these stories about hard openings which is keeping me from buying one..

If twitchy means potential for off heading, then I concur. However I dont think this is a problem at all.

Yes, rocking movement left and right and then off-heading opening. You can see that on clip I attached. And this is good opening. Plus, I really try to be as symmetrical as I can. :S

I think Neos would be my next canopy, but I hear all these stories about hard openings which is keeping me from buying one..

Why not go straight to JVX? Is semi-xbraced (i.e. arc-braced) really the next step to go? Maybe I`m wrong, but Xbraced is Xbraced and once you go that path, any stupid shit will hurt you.
dudeist skydiver #42

Yes, rocking movement left and right and then off-heading opening. You can see that on clip I attached. And this is good opening. Plus, I really try to be as symmetrical as I can.

Doesn't seem too bad to me (the video), but just a question how do you pack it? I used to have a habit of pushing the nose in to the middle (not inside) of pack job, and for me (VX94) it caused a lot more rocking and very snappy openings.

Now I leave the nose completely exposed and the openings are a lot better and actually quite soft.

I think I've jumped the same 104 Neos BMFin has and I just loved those openings, no searching, no turning, just smooth inflation. But it could be a wingloading thing, I was loading it at 2.0.