D22369

electricians in the house?

Hey all,

I am helping to set up an escape proof fencing for a friends dog, he has a electric fence (wire) for horses, it puts out 1.5 Joules of shock. Will this be too much for a 50-80 lb dog?

We dont want to hurt the damned dog, but he is Houdini reincarnated!!!

He has tried the collars and proximity wires, but the dog has learned to hit the invisible fence line at high speeds thus only getting a short lived shock.

Thanks;

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

<----------would never think of doing something so bad to him! Your friend should test it on his kids instead!:P

While I can respect what your saying here you fail to understand the situation completely. The dog has escaped from everything that has been put in place to contain him, Is it better to let him run into traffic and die a messy death? or to get into a dog fight and kill or be killed? The kids are really attached to the dog and would be crushed if he were to be killed.

They live just outside of Portland oregon and the highway is just over the hill, sooner or later the dog is going to get killed. We are trying to prevent it while still allowing it the maximum amount of freedom!

I am sorry you think us to be cruel - its quite the opposite.

Roy
They say I suffer from insanity.... But I actually enjoy it.

Ive grabbed more than one electric fence intended for horses. Its just a buzz, not enough to really hurt. It will scare the fuck out of a dog though. Should do the trick (but I would be really surprised if it hurt the dog more than scaring it a bit).

I'm guessing that the one you grabbed either wasn't grounded very well or that it was a weak sister to some of the systems out there.

I know first hand that the one we have at home will leave you with no wish to repeat the experience. And it's just one of the lower mid-range models.

Now Roy, to answer your question, many of the fencers made these days are hooked up to 120VAC and are designed to energize many miles of fence even with "leaks" from vegetation laying on the wire. However, they're designed to be nonlethal. They run anywhere from 2-5.4kV, but the current pulse is in the microsecond range with approximately one second between pulses. With electricity, it's current that kills you, not the voltage.

I would imagine that if you somehow fell over an energized fence and were rendered unconscious by a blow to the head that the prolonged shocks could do some damage, possibly to the point that it kills you, but otherwise it won't do much other than hurt.

That said, I've seen a dog take one to the nose. Being the well-grounded critters that they are, it still doesn't kill them but the noise they make when it happens makes it appear that way (remember, this is from a unit designed for livestock and miles of fence). I imagine it hurts more than anything they've ever experienced. They have no comprehension of what's going on.

Side note: because I happened to be standing near the dog when it got nailed, the dog figured I was the one that administered the shock (punishment?). As a result, any time I came near the animal, it went totally submissive, would lay down belly up with fear in its eyes, and would not get up. It would behave like I had soundly and viciously beaten it (and I had never hurt this animal). Quite frustrating actually.

For more info, visit www.gallagherusa.com and look under energizers. They actually have models for pets (I imagine they're relatively low-powered).

One more thing to consider: Is this dog in the city or suburbs? Your friend may have trouble with the neighbours if he sets up an electric perimeter fence. I believe by law an energized fence must be clearly and visibly marked as such if it is in a populated environment. I can see many concerned parents being upset with a fence they think would hurt their children. 'Cause you know even with the signs someone's just gotta try it out..."Hey hold my beer and watch this..."

S

I set up one of these to keep my Rottweiler and Golden Retriever out of my garden. After they bumped it a couple of times they wouldn't go near that fence and it's been over a year since it's been up.
I touched the fence myself just to make sure they wouldn't get hurt and it just stings a bit, nothing too much.

Hey Roy I had a fence charger that was for bulls. It literally would knock you on your ass. But it did not hurt you unless you hit your head on a rock or something. I had a dog that could escape from any thing, I tried the charger. This dog would sit and get in sync with the pulse and then go on the off beat. :ph34r:

Don't run out of altitude and experience at the same time...

1.5 Joules won't hurt the dog. As was stated earlier the amperage is what will kill, not the voltage, and for those who don't know, a joule is equal to a watt. so 1.5 joules is like being nailed by a low rate lightbulb. Don't sweat it, no significant damage will be done...unless the dog decides to "mark" the fence in his own special way. B|

By the way, I'm not speaking from my A$$, I worked as an apprentice electrician for a year and have been zapped by a whole range of things...perhaps that explains something.