pilotdave

Any SomethingAwful forum members?

Just started getting a bunch of hits from the SomethingAwful.com forums... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1024081. Just curious what was posted, but they charge $10 for membership so I was wondering if anyone here is a member. Last thing skydivingmovies.com needs is a million hits from people that aren't really interested. Hopefully our registration will turn some away.

Anyone?

Dave

someone posted about starting AFF and asked if anyone jumped. Comments were pretty tame, mostly tandem stories. one guy posted this...

I did a static line jump last fall, I think I will continue and go for my A license when the DZ near me starts operations next month.
They dont offer AFF so I have to do the S/L thing.
They have some good movies to download here the malfunction section is interesting http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php

Go to www.groups.google.com and perform an advanced search within news.admin.net-abuse.* using "SA" and "Something Awful" as the search terms.

SA doesn't play nice but they are not stupid and they can be subtle. Then again, it might be legitimate. Anything's possible.

rl

Just started getting a bunch of hits from the SomethingAwful.com forums... http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1024081. Just curious what was posted, but they charge $10 for membership so I was wondering if anyone here is a member. Last thing skydivingmovies.com needs is a million hits from people that aren't really interested. Hopefully our registration will turn some away.

Anyone?

Dave

Dave, I have a friend with a membership. Here is the copy and paste of the whole thread.

Well, I cant upload it.. so here it goes.. if its too large, im sure a mod will delete it ;)

I made an appointment to go skydiving this Saturday for the first time, two instructional tandems. Then I go on to more traing (Accelerated Free Fall) to do solos.

Anyone have any good/bad stories or experiences to share?

I'm also curious if I get a refund if the chute doesn't open. ROFL ^^^

Apr 28, 2004: 10:53 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

323LX
"Thank you for taking a ride on the Infinite Sadness Express..."

I would venture to say you're only going to hear about good experiences...those with bad experiences jumping out of planes are probably not in a position to post at the moment...

Edit: I have never, nor do I ever have any intentions of jumping out of a plane.

Apr 28, 2004: 10:59 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

bewbies

Kade bought me this avatar because I do not strike him as a homophobe, but my username does strike him as pretty stupid.

Airborne, hooah.

On my first jump the dude next to me pissed himself because they wouldn't let him go pee.

Apr 28, 2004: 11:00 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

idesofmarch

I always wondered what you're supposed to say to someone strapped to your back?

"So uhh, nice weather huh?"
"Yeah sure"
"Oh"

Apr 28, 2004: 11:00 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

LostCause
sup d00dz!?!?!

No, but i pushed someone out one time when they took too long in the bathroom.

Apr 28, 2004: 11:01 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

RandomEffects

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
idesofmarch came out of the closet to say:

"Yeah sure"
"Oh"
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"so... shouldn't we be wearing pants?"

Apr 28, 2004: 11:01 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Frumious J. Robot

For sale:

One parachute, never opened. Small stain.

Apr 28, 2004: 11:04 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

WindyMan

Going My Way, bitch?

I have, then I watched the plane taxi to the runway and take off.

Apr 28, 2004: 11:04 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

img-timeline
img-timeline is BACK

It's very fun. All the fear goes away once you step (excuse me: the man pounding your ass throws you) out the door.

My first tandem guy looked like Fabio.

Apr 28, 2004: 11:05 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

INVIDKLLR
www.invidkllr.com

quote:
img-timeline came out of the closet to say:
My first tandem guy looked like Fabio.

hmmm is this him?

Apr 28, 2004: 11:24 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Elvis_Nixon
You may already be a winner

800 skydives - no other experience in your life will come close, it's great.

Your first jump there's a pretty sharp sensory overload, so you won't remember a whole lot until you're under canopy. Just remember, no matter what, have a canopy open before you reach the ground. As long as you do that the rest'll work out fine (you'd be amazed how many people get confused on that point).

Apr 28, 2004: 11:25 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

img-timeline
img-timeline is BACK

quote:
INVIDKLLR came out of the closet to say:

hmmm is this him?
Fabio

Mother:p:p:p:per that is him. I presume you live in SA/Austin/San Marcos?

img-timeline :p:p:p:ped around with this message at Apr 28, 2004 around 11:28

Apr 28, 2004: 11:26 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

therapy

Armchair Hero

My neighbor got skydiving lessons for her 40th birthday. She got 6 of them, the first 3 were tandem, the last 3 were solo.

She went on the first one, and she literally pissed herself. When she hit the ground she was crying and screaming and covered in urine, and she was hysterical for 2 hours.

The day after that, she came over to our superbowl party with the videotape of her screaming, pissing herself, and yelling about how her children aren't in her will, and made us watch it.

I swear to God, it was the most dumbfounding thing I've ever seen. The whole room was silent when it ended, and she kind of turned to her husband and he said. "Well, only 5 more to go, Honey!"

That was pretty funny, actually.

Also, she did end up going on the other 5 and apparently did fine, but that first one she totally flipped out about.

Apr 28, 2004: 11:28 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Bravo_3-3
Say again, over.

I've done both civilian and military.

I like military better, maybe because I have more military jumps and I'm just used to them.

Apr 28, 2004: 11:29 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

INVIDKLLR
www.invidkllr.com

quote:
img-timeline came out of the closet to say:

Mother:p:p:p:per that is him. I presume you live in SA/Austin/San Marcos?

Yeah Austin. I remember seeing that guys pic on their website and had a feeling that might be him that you were talking about. HAHAHA

Things to remember (thanks to you guys):
1. Open chute before hit ground.
2. Piss as much as I can BEFORE getting in the plane.
3. Take my kid out of my will.

Apr 28, 2004: 11:38 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Gromit

We've been hit!

I'm scared of heights and went on a tandem jump and loved the whole thing. One thing to remember, and I wish someone had told me this earlier:

You wear a pretty tight outfit that is probably so garish even Elvis would have balked at wearing it. Make sure you stuff a pair of socks down the front so the ladies don't snigger at your fear-withered package.

Beyond that, it's a blast. The height didn't bother me at all, as it's a little surreal at the height you jump at. Then again, I get a rush from having my "height scardiness" kick in, so try to experience it as much as possible.

Apr 28, 2004: 17:11 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

Inspector_71

I've lost certain...faculties.

I've been toying with maybe trying to get into special forces once I join the military...so i guess that at some point in my life I will be jumping out a plane.

Probably while being shot at.

Inspector_71 :p:p:p:ped around with this message at Apr 28, 2004 around 17:16

Apr 28, 2004: 17:13 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

IMJack
Treasonous libeler

quote:

"Yeah sure"
"Oh"

This is one of the reasons I intend to go AFF right off the bat. When I finally get around to doing this.

Apr 28, 2004: 17:15 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

e x i t english
BORING BORING BORING BORING

My friend just went skydiving a couple weeks ago in Vegas. He loved it and keeps talking about how cool it was. He showed me the video, and it looks :p:p:p:ping awesome. Hopefully I'll try it sometime this summer but it does still scare the shit out of me.

Apr 28, 2004: 17:27 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

Lamer

I've only made 4 jumps, all static line. I kinda want to get back into it and work up to free falling but I scared the shit out of myself on my last jump and almost pulled my reserve since I thought my main wasn't opening.

Apr 28, 2004: 17:32 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

Ron Popeil

I did a static line jump last fall, I think I will continue and go for my A license when the DZ near me starts operations next month.
They dont offer AFF so I have to do the S/L thing.
They have some good movies to download here the malfunction section is interesting http://www.skydivingmovies.com/ver2/pafiledb.php

Apr 28, 2004: 17:33 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

KatMan911
CHEAP :p:p:p:pASS. I HAVE NO COMPASSION. IGNORE ME. I AM WORTHLESS.

quote:
I made an appointment to go skydiving this Saturday for the first time, two instructional tandems. Then I go on to more traing (Accelerated Free Fall) to do solos.

Anyone have any good/bad stories or experiences to share?

I'm also curious if I get a refund if the chute doesn't open.

2 tandem jumps, and then you can go solo? Wow. I thought it usually took more jumps than that.

Anyway, go for it. Saying "It's such a :p:p:p:ping rush!" doesn't do skydiving any justice. I tried it, and it's awesome. From what I heard, a lot of people actually black out for the first several seconds because of sensory and adrenaline overload . You have to at least try it once, man.

And as for the refund - sort of. The organizers are responsible for paying the landscaping workers who are going to fill out the nasty little crater you're going to leave.

Apr 28, 2004: 17:41 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

LucasMedaffy

I did a tandem (10,000ft) last summer. I enjoyed it, except for the minute or so after the plane door opened and I was sitting on the edge of the door with my feet on the little ledge while the tandem master got positioned behind me. That was pretty scary...and cold.

I don't regret doing it. I might do it again, we'll see. I have a video from mine and it's pretty damn cool. I hope to show my kids some day

Apr 28, 2004: 17:45 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Kaddish

How much does this cost on average? I'm talking about new jumpers, classes and all that? I know it will probably be different depending on the area but I;m just looking for a ball park number.

Nevermind - http://www.indianaskydivingacademy.com/Prices.htm

Kaddish :p:p:p:ped around with this message at Apr 28, 2004 around 17:59

Apr 28, 2004: 17:53 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

Ninja Rabbi
Kosher assbeating

85 jumps here, no tandems.

The thing to understand about skydiving is that it's a whole sport. Beyond the rush of :p:p:p:pING FALLING FROM A PLANE there's a lot of cool stuff you can do. Your first jumps will be belly jumps, but there's a whole different ballgame that's called freeflying. That's falling in a sitting, standing, or headdown position.

Besides that, if you get yourself a choote, you'll be able to have a whole lot of fun after you open. Zipping around the sky and coming to a nice swoop landing is very cool, and would probably be worth it by itself.

Finally, remember, the fear stays in the plane.

Apr 28, 2004: 18:04 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

soy

Crazy :p:p:p:pers.

I rode in a glider once though, with a guy who now holds the distance record for gliders.

That was pretty awesome.

Apr 28, 2004: 18:12 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

Nilisco

Watching You.

I've always wondered, is skydiving anything like the hellish feeling of a steep roller coaster drop, for a really long time?

Apr 28, 2004: 18:17 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

JayTay
Curse you god for making me this way.

Did a tandem jump for charity last October. It being October and all it was easily the coldest thing I have ever experienced. There were ice particles hitting my face as we jumped then lots of rain as we came through the lower clouds. I'd love to do it again, think I'd prefer to do it in the summer next time though.

Apr 28, 2004: 18:20 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Nevermore

Evil Goddess of Cheerleaders

quote:
bad stories

You asked.

Sky diving was one of my uncle's hobbies, jumping hundreds of times over the span of 20 years. One time he maneuvered to avoid some power lines and his chute collapsed. He fell about 80 feet to his death.

Apr 28, 2004: 18:26 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

Washout
Honda Fanboy

I jumped solo with a static line about 9 or 10 times. My second to last time I got a ton of line twists and my chuts didn't open all the way and I had to kick out of it while being thrown around viloently. Then I went again and then quit.

Apr 28, 2004: 18:38 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

FingerOfChicken
Get Healthy With Brainmuffins

Sure, in Pepperell, massachusetts.

Don't bring your dentures.

Apr 28, 2004: 18:42 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Ninja Rabbi
Kosher assbeating

quote:
Nilisco came out of the closet to say:
I've always wondered, is skydiving anything like the hellish feeling of a steep roller coaster drop, for a really long time?

It's nothing like that at all. It's what you'd imagine flying feels like.

To everyone telling horror stories - I'm pretty sure you've got better odds being killed in a horseback riding or a skiing accident that in skydiving. In fact, it's one of the safest extreme sports out there.

Apr 28, 2004: 18:44 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

dorquemada

I live in a yurt on the steppes of Sheep:p:p:p:pistan. That's why.

quote:
323LX came out of the closet to say:
I would venture to say you're only going to hear about good experiences...those with bad experiences jumping out of planes are probably not in a position to post at the moment...

I know several people with bad parachuting experiences. One freaked out on his first jump, pulled his reserve and it went up into the main chute, and the two of them proceeded to flap like a squid all the way down. I know a few people who broke their legs landing, and guy who was dropped hard onto a runway due to unexpectedly high winds and broke several bones. I never had a bad experience, myself.

It's not the fall, it's the sudden stop at the end.

Apr 28, 2004: 19:08 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Tokaii

The liberal atheist of his senior citizen center

I tried it back in the late 60's when they still used the hemispherical chutes like WWII, but with panels cut out for steering, and no tandem jumps.

I weighed 240 at the time and they figured out I was coming down very fast, I forget the fps, and I didn't land right and got a concussion. The doc at the university health center told me not to jump for a week so of course I went out the next weekend.

I was so conscious of not hitting my head that I did a standing landing. Again this was before today's chutes which you can stall out just as you land. I got shine splints in both legs, two sprained ankles and two wrenched knees. Don't jump for another month.

So I went out the next weekend. I packed my chute, waited for my turn, and walked up to the plane. I couldn't lift my leg enough to get up in the plane. Wisely I turned around, left all my macho on that step, and walked away. I've never gone back to it.

Apr 28, 2004: 19:38 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

Tokaii

The liberal atheist of his senior citizen center

quote:

"Yeah sure"
"Oh"

"Will you respect me in the morning?"

Apr 28, 2004: 19:43 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

champu

hi-ho silver!

quote:
Ninja Rabbi came out of the closet to say:
85 jumps here, no tandems.

The thing to understand about skydiving is that it's a whole sport. Beyond the rush of :p:p:p:pING FALLING FROM A PLANE there's a lot of cool stuff you can do. Your first jumps will be belly jumps, but there's a whole different ballgame that's called freeflying. That's falling in a sitting, standing, or headdown position.

Besides that, if you get yourself a choote, you'll be able to have a whole lot of fun after you open. Zipping around the sky and coming to a nice swoop landing is very cool, and would probably be worth it by itself.

Finally, remember, the fear stays in the plane.

whoa, freeflying? swooping? 85 jumps? take it easy there partner... Not that I should talk either, I only have 140 jumps.

I've had a great time in the sport over the last couple years. there's a lot to learn in the various diciplines mentioned above. And nothing breaks up weeks of school like leaving town on the weekends and going skydiving. It's pretty addictive though, be careful.

quote:
To everyone telling horror stories - I'm pretty sure you've got better odds being killed in a horseback riding or a skiing accident that in skydiving. In fact, it's one of the safest extreme sports out there.

You are going to get out of an airplane in flight, and at some point you intend to throw a bunch of nylon and spectra line into the wind to stop from smacking into the ground at 120 mph. It's not safer than horseback riding.

champu :p:p:p:ped around with this message at Apr 28, 2004 around 20:50

Apr 28, 2004: 20:35 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

Elvis_Nixon
You may already be a winner

quote:
Nilisco came out of the closet to say:

10~ish seconds into freefall you're at terminal velocity of about 110 mph (physics majors will have figures to show I'm close but not correct). By then, it feels to your body like it does laying face-down on a waterbed, but with wind noise. The plane as you exit is doing at least 80 mph, so it's not like you're accelerating all that much.

So no, no falling rush. People who've jumped from balloons or off buildings tell me it doesn't have the roller-coaster feeling either, but in those cases you don't have the air to push against, so it feels a bit odd for the first few seconds.

Statistically, the drive to the drop zone is way more dangerous than the jump. In fact of all the people I've jumped with over the years, there's been a few killed sky diving, but I've known more to be killed in non-skydiving accidents.

The thing about skydiving is if you do :p:p:p:p up, and :p:p:p:p up enough (either one big one or a bunch of small ones), there's a real good chance it'll kill you. Again, you've got to have a parachute open before you reach the ground. You do that, you're golden.

But there's the danger, since it feels like your laying on a waterbed (more or less) then you don't have a sensation of falling. It's easy to forget the falling thing (you don't have the ground rushing up to you 'til about 1700 feet, which by then you're low). Usually you carry an altimeter, but most important is the sense of time passed since you've left the airplane. (Skydivers call it their "head clock"). This is complexified because the adrenalin experience is such that a 40 second freefall "feels" like five minutes (this is also the attraction of it). It's easy, especially if you're inexperienced, to loose track of time; the alternative is if something out-of-the-ordinary happens to an experienced 'diver, they'll also loose track of time while dealing with the issue at hand. That's how people go in, they lose track of time (everybody has a close call story).

Under canopy it's a little different, but in the end it's like operating any machine: If you push it's limits you may reach a position past the design limits of the machine and you may lose time until the flight envelope is restored to something manageable (the good news is, it's a freakin' _parachute_). But again, if you got less altitude than time - you go in.

It's a fairly manageable environment, in the end. We're talking opening a parachute before you reach the earth - and modern equipment will even do _that_ for you, plus they give you two of the things, and operating that parachute in a reasonable manner, which is not big trick, really.

So you're more likely to get killed on the highway.

Apr 28, 2004: 21:01 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

dirk_diggler

I enjoy using catchphrases!

I've always wanted to go skydiving, maybe I should try to find an outfit in this hick town I live in that does this. One question, does the parachute start to open as soon as you jump out the door, or do you freefall for a while then pull it? And if you do freefall, how long do you normally go in freefall before you pop the chute?

Apr 28, 2004: 21:04 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message User's Homepage Search For More Posts

DirtyDiaperMask

Mind Me

^^^^^^^^^ You freefall for about a minute, I went from 15,000 down to 5,000 before the chute opened.

I went once, tandem of course.

I dont remember much, but it made me really tired.
Oh, and it was cold and windy.

Apr 28, 2004: 21:06 User's Profile / Image Send a Private Message Search For More Posts

trac

I think skydiving is one of the coolest things I have ever done. Where I went we had about 4 hours of classroom time then an hour or two of simulated ie. hang from hanger cieling in a harness and run through countdown to canopy check and what to do if you get line twist or line overs and such.

After that we did a static line jump from 3000 feet. I never went back as it was near the end of the season but I plan to start it back up this season. I think I need to do 3 or 4 static jumps each higher than the last then I get to move on to actual free fall.

I think the scariest thing that could happen besides a total failure is a bad line over. My canopy opened with out any problems but one of my friends had quite a bit of twist and the other had a line over at about the 2nd cell. I guess that sort of stuff is fairly common though.

As far as a refund if the chute doesn't open... I found it funny that the place I went had a form that said they guaranteed the chute in so far that it opened the last time it was used. That cracked me up.
http://sexygirlabs.com/url]